× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
oelara oelara
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A client with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) says, I'm not going to take a flu shot this year. If there is an outbreak, I'll take one then. How should the nurse respond to this statement?

Standard Text: Select all that apply.
  1. I rarely take a flu shot either.
  2. Once the outbreak is here, it is usually too late for immunizations.
  3. We can't always treat influenza very effectively in people with COPD.
  4. If you had an immunization last year, it is probably still effective.
  5. If you change your mind, you can take one at your next appointment in January.
Read 66 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
Correct Answer: 2,3
Rationale 1: Even if this is a true statement, the nurse should encourage clients with COPD to take the influenza immunization.
Rationale 2: Once an outbreak of influenza occurs, immunization is no longer effective.
Rationale 3: It is difficult to treat influenza in any population, and those with chronic lung diseases are particularly difficult to treat.
Rationale 4: The influenza vaccine changes year to year based upon the probability of which strains will be most active.
Rationale 5: Most influenza outbreaks take place in the winter, so waiting until January is not advisable.
Global Rationale: Once an outbreak of influenza occurs, immunization is no longer effective and pharmacotherapy of the active infection may be initiated. Because treatment of influenza infection is minimally effective, the best approach for dealing with this infection is through prevention. The nurse should not minimize this patient's need for immunization. The immunization must be administered annually. January is late for an immunization.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1227 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion