m
c
o
l
sagrawal1984 sagrawal1984
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Compare and contrast gram-positive and gram-negative cell walls with regard to (a) sensitivity to antimicrobial agents, (b) resistance to phagocytosis, (c) chemical composition, and (d) decolorization by alcohol.
Read 7107 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
Both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria have a cell wall made up of peptidoglycan and a phospholipid bilayer with membrane-spanning proteins. However, gram-negative bacteria have a unique outer membrane, a thinner layer of peptidoglycan, and a periplasmic space between the cell wall and the membrane. In the outer membrane, gram-negative bacteria have lipopolysaccharides (LPS), porin channels, and murein lipoprotein all of which gram-positive bacteria lack.

As opposed to gram-positive cells, gram-negative cells are resistant to lysozyme (phagocytosis) and penicillin attack. The gram-negative outer membrane which contains LPS, an endotoxin, blocks antibiotics, dyes, and detergents protecting the sensitive inner membrane and cell wall.

LPS is significant in membrane transport of gram-negative bacteria. LPS, which includes O-antigen, a core polysaccharide and a Lipid A, coats the cell surface and works to exclude large hydrophobic compounds such as bile salts and antibiotics from invading the cell. O-antigen are long hydrophilic carbohydrate chains (up to 50 sugars long) that extend out from the outer membrane while Lipid A (and fatty acids) anchors the LPS to the outer membrane.

A staining technique used to classify bacteria in which a bacterial specimen is first stained with crystal violet, then treated with an iodine solution, decolorized with alcohol, and counterstained with safranine. Gram-positive bacteria retain the violet stain; gram-negative bacteria do not. That means gram-negative bacteria is decolorized with alcohol.
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, thebiologist
See this pages. If you want to learn more or you don't understand anything about the pages, you can ask me.
Post Merge: 9 years ago

The last picture is about gram-painting. Sorry, because I forgot to add the picture to my last post.
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  719 People Browsing
Related Images