s
a
t
i
r
Potently Potently
wrote...
13 years ago
Firstly, you don't have to answer them all I know it's a lot, I'm sorry.
I answered about 60 or 70 questions from my textbook throughout the week to study for my homeostasis test, and most of it I understand but here are some of the questions that I am still unsure about or just don't undersand at all. I posted on the forum earlier with some other questions but then I came across some more:P So here they are. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you so much !

1. Athletes now undergo random urine testing for drugs. From your knowledge of excretion, describe the pathway of substancs such as drugs through the urinary system, from the time they enter the glomerulus until they are excreted as urine.

2. Can someone explain to me the purpose of secretion? I dont get it. Why does waste have to be taken from the blood stream and put back into the nephron? Didn't everything already get filtered through the glomerulus? Sorry if it's a stupid question I'm just having a difficult tim understanding the urinary system lol

3. Marine fish, such as herring and cod, live in a hypertonic environent. These fish lose water through their gills by osmosis.To replace the water, the fish drink seawater.
a) Explain why these fish must actively transport salt from their bodies.
b) Because these fish excrete salt through their gills, kidney function is affected. Explain the effect on volume of urine excreted and the concentration of solutes in the urine.

4. What does salt have to do with ADH?

5. A patient complains about losing his sense of balance. A marked decrease in muscle coordination is also mentioned. Which area of the brain might a physician look at for the cause of the symptoms?

6. During World War I, physicians noted a phenomenon called "phantom pains". Soldiers with amputated limbs complained of pain or itching in the missing limb. Use your knowledge of sensory nerves and the central nervous system to explain this phenomenon.

a) Describe the physiological homeostatic adjustments for a person who is performing rigorous exercise. As a result of this physical activity their internal body temperature is increasing and their bodies water content is decreasing.

b) Explain how an adjustment to high internal temperature is related to water content. Hint: What is causing this person to lose water content?

c) During this activity how much urine production will this person have? Explain.

d) Regaring any urine thatis formed by this individual during the exercise, will it have a higher solute concentraton, a lower concentration or the same concentration as urine when the person is not physically active? Explain. 
Read 9135 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Hey Potently

1) Blood containing the drug would be force filtered in the glomerulus. Liquid with the drug dissolved in it would thus be
forced out into the cavity of Bowman’s capsule. From there, the liquid containing the drug would move down the  descending arm of the loop of Henle. The drug would become more concentrated because water is moving out of the  tubule at this part of the nephron. In the loop of Henle and in part of the ascending arm, some of the drug might move back into the tissues, depending on its solubility in the tubular liquid and its permeability with respect to the tubule  tissues. Any of the drug that remained in the tubule would become more concentrated as more water was removed from the tubule during its passage to the collecting ducts. Eventually, the drug would enter the urinary bladder and be excreted in the urine.
rainbows246 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
the thing with secretion is that it helps to make final adjustments to the filtrate while it passes through the distal convoluted tubules such as pH and salt levels. through selective secretion of H+ ions or HCO3 - ions, the pH of the blood is regulated. Other wastes that were not originally filtered that might have been too large to pass through the glomerulus (antibiotics, etc) could be actively transported into the nephrons.

a) if they don't then their blood would increase in salt concentration and increase in osmotic pressure, essentially drawing out water from the fish's tissues and making it dehydrated.
b) since salt has already been filtered, the volume of urine excreted increases since by actively pumping Na+ ions, water molecules follow. WIthout Na+ ions, less water is drawn out of the nephrons. concentration decreases since amount of solvent increases.

salt in the blood alters the blood's osmotic pressure. It is this change in the osmotic pressure that is detected by osmoreceptors in the hypothalamus and an increase in osmotic pressure (more salt in the blood with respect to water) causes cells of hypothalamus to shrink. Shrunk hypothalamus sends a nerve message to the posterior lobe of the pituitary gland to secrete ADH, thus the connection.

the physician might want to look at the celebellum? but i'm not 100% sure on this one. I know that cerebellum is responsible for balance and limb movement.

i suppose since the limbs contain motor and sensory nerve cells that are a part of the PNS, the nerve cells contain axons that are surrounded by a thin layer of neurilemma that promotes regeneration of the axon after damage. it could be that some of these neuron regenerated? and are detecting a stimulus?  this one i don't know

a) from exercise:
increased temperatures causes the hypothalamus to coordinate a nerve message to the sweat glands to initiate sweating, blood vessels in the skin dilates to allow increased blood flow.
decreased water content increases osmotic pressure of the blood and thus ADH is produced to reabsorb water from filtrate in the nephrons to stop osmotic pressure from increasing.

b) sweating causes the person to loose water

c) the volume of urine production would decrease, since ADH is making the nephrons reabsorb the H2O in the filtrate

d) it would have higher solute concentration. Since the urine will decrease in amount of solvent (water) the concentration of solute increases and the urine becomes more concentrated.

sorry for any spelling mistakes.  Slight Smile
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
You're correct rainbow246, it is the cerebellum.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1245 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372