m
s
c
k
m
Yoshi Yoshi
wrote...
9 years ago
You are the nurse caring for a patient who is Native American who arrives at the clinic for treatment related to type II diabetes. Which question would best provide you with information about the role food plays in the patient's cultural practice and identify how the patient's food preferences could be related to the patient's problem?
A)  “Do you feel any of your cultural practices have a negative impact on your disease process?”
B)  “What types of foods are served as a part of your cultural practices, and how they are prepared?”
C)  “As a nonnative, I am unaware of your cultural practices. Could you teach me a few practices that may affect your care?”
D)  “Tell me about foods that are important to your cultural practices and how you feel they relate to your diabetes.”
Read 254 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
D - The beliefs and practices that have been shared from generation to generation are known as cultural or ethnic patterns. They are expressed through language, dress, dietary choices, and role behaviors; in perceptions of health and illness; and in health-related behaviors. Food plays a significant role in both cultural practices and type II diabetes. By asking the question, tell me about the foods that are important to your cultural practices and how you feel they relate to your diabetes, the nurse demonstrates a cultural awareness to the client and allows an open-ended discussion of the disease process and its relationship to cultural practice. Option A is incorrect; it assuming that the patient knows diabetes is dangerous, and the answer is stated in a threatening and negative way. Option B is incorrect; it only assesses the types and preparation of foods specific to cultural practices without relating it to diabetes. Option C is a good answer but focuses on “care” and fails to address the significance of food in cultural practice or diabetes.
Yoshi Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Muchas gracias!

Appreciate your help tremendously Smiling Face with Open Mouth
wrote...
9 years ago
You're welcome
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1103 People Browsing
 187 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 302

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?