I
k
j
o
nevinjoshy2001 nevinjoshy2001
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
Which of the following could cause hypercapnic respiratory failure? 1. Smoke inhalation 2. Opiate drug overdose 3. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 4. Hypothyroidism

a. 1 and 3 only
  b. 1, 2, and 3 only
  c. 3 and 4 only
  d. 2, 3, and 4 only

Q. 2  Which of the following are associated with hypercapnic respiratory failure due to decreased ven-tilatory drive? 1. Brainstem lesions 2. Encephalitis 3. Hypothyroidism 4. Asthma

a. 1, 2, and 3 only
  b. 2 and 4 only
  c. 3 and 4 only
  d. 2, 3, and 4 only

Q. 3  A patient with an opiate drug overdose is unconscious and exhibits the following blood gas re-sults breathing room air: pH = 7.19; PCO2 = 89; HCO3 = 27; PO2 = 48. Which of the following best describes this patient's condition?

a. Chronic hypoxemic respiratory failure
  b. Chronic hypercapnic respiratory failure
  c. Acute hypoxemic respiratory failure
  d. Acute hypercapnic respiratory failure

Q. 4  What is the most common cause of low mixed venous oxygen?

a. Liver disease
  b. Cardiac disease
  c. Neuromuscular disease
  d. Vascular disease
Read 25 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
(Answer to Q. 1)  ANS: D
This ventilatory drive can be diminished by various factors such as drugs (overdose/sedation), brainstem lesions, diseases of the central nervous system such as multiple sclerosis or Parkinson's disease, hypothyroidism, morbid obesity (e.g., obesity-hypoventilation), and sleep apnea.

(Answer to Q. 2)  ANS: A
This ventilatory drive can be diminished by various factors such as drugs (overdose/sedation), brainstem lesions, diseases of the central nervous system such as multiple sclerosis or Parkinson's disease, hypothyroidism, morbid obesity (e.g., obesity-hypoventilation), and sleep apnea.

(Answer to Q. 3)  ANS: D
Hypercapnic respiratory failure (pump failure, ventilatory failure) is characterized by an ele-vated PaCO2, creating an uncompensated respiratory acidosis (whether acute or acute-on-chronic).

(Answer to Q. 4)  ANS: B
Congestive heart failure with low cardiac output is the most common cause of low mixed venous oxygen, due to increased peripheral extraction of oxygen.
wrote...
6 years ago
I know you spent a lot of time finding this because I swear it wasn't in my textbook
wrote...
6 years ago
You're partially right, it's found midway in the chapter, but not at all easy to find. Good luck with the rest
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  966 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 299

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?