k
m
c
o
ogilusin ogilusin
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
6 years ago
The nurse is caring for a patient who underwent a laryngectomy. Which need should the nurse address first?

a. Pain control
  b. Family support
  c. Communication method
  d. Plan for long-term care

Question 2

The nurse caring for a patient who requires a temporary transvenous pacemaker. Which statement indicates that the patient understands the nurse's teaching?

a. I may experience uncomfortable muscle contractions.
  b. The procedure will use general anesthe-sia.
  c. I will be given a sedative after the pro-cedure.
  d. This device may be left in place for 6 weeks.

Question 3

The nurse is interviewing a patient who is seeking assistance at the urology clinic for erectile dysfunction. Which statement is the best way to open the interview?

a. When was the last time you were impo-tent?
  b. Do you attempt to have intercourse every week?
  c. What medications have you tried pre-viously?
  d. What experiences have you had with erectile dysfunction?

Question 4

A patient with glomerulonephritis has an order to undergo plasmapheresis. Which statement indicates that the patient accurately understands teaching about the procedure?

a. This procedure removes my affected plasma and gives me a clean replacement.
  b. This procedure will use the IV in my hand.
  c. I will need to lie very still while the pic-tures are taken.
  d. I should drink this contrast with a straw to keep it from staining my teeth.

Question 5

Which potential hazard is most important for a patient with an automatic implantable cardiover-ter-defibrillator (AICD) to avoid?

a. Static electricity from synthetic fabric
  b. Airport security detection devices
  c. Constricting clothing and belts
  d. High altitudes

Question 6

The nurse is caring for a patient with suspected macular degeneration. During the assessment the patient is asked to focus on an image. Which finding supports the diagnosis?

a. The patient only sees disconnected pieces of the image.
  b. The patient sees a dark spot in the center of what is viewed.
  c. The patient sees nothing in the peripheral vision.
  d. The patient sees wavy lines and bright flashing lights.
Read 30 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
The answer to question 1  C
Pain control and family support are important, but the need of a method of communication is pa-ramount for a new tracheostomy patient to allay anxiety, ensure accurate communication between the patient and the nurse, and make the patient comfortable that nursing staff are attentive. The need for long-term care may not be necessary.

The answer to question 2  A
A temporary transvenous pacemaker is placed if a transient rhythm such as heart block develops after a myocardial infarction or drug toxicity. It is important that the patient understands the un-comfortable muscle contractions are normal. Transvenous pacemakers are inserted by fluoroscopy with local anesthesia, and the leads are attached to an external power source. Patient consent is required, and a sedative is given to the patient before the procedure. Epicardial pacemaker wires are often placed during cardiac surgery for quick use should the patient need to be paced in the postoperative period. The wires are brought through the chest wall and are attached to an external power source. When the need for the wires is past, the surgeon will pull them out. The device is a short-term solution and is only used until the problem resolved or a permanent device is inserted.

The answer to question 3  D
Asking open-ended questions will help the patient respond with information that can be used in a plan of care.

The answer to question 4  A
Plasmapheresis is a blood cleansing procedure used in autoimmune disorders, such as acute glo-merulonephritis or myasthenia gravis (see Chapter 24). Much like hemodialysis, plasmapheresis uses a special filter to remove plasma and wash it to eliminate antibodies. If treatment is not successful, the disease will rapidly progress to kidney failure and death. The patient's blood is accessed through a shunt or a CVC, not a peripheral intravenous (IV) line. This procedure does not involve imaging or contrast.

The answer to question 5  B
Electronic wands at airport security check stations can alter the setting on the AICD. People with AICDs should have certification that they have the embedded device. High altitudes and clothing will not alter the settings.

The answer to question 6  B
The person with macular degeneration sees a dark spot in his central vision. Peripheral vision is not affected until later in the disease.
ogilusin Author
wrote...
6 years ago
These are correct! Thank you very much!!!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  981 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 299