b
t
J
b
rimaaazzz rimaaazzz
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
Which nursing action should be included in the plan of care for a patient returning to the surgical unit following a left modified radical mastectomy with dissection of axillary lymph nodes?

a. Obtain a permanent breast prosthesis before the patient is discharged from the hospital.
  b. Teach the patient to use the ordered patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) every 10 minutes.
  c. Post a sign at the bedside warning against venipunctures or blood pressures in the left arm.
  d. Insist that the patient examine the surgical incision when the initial dressings are removed.

Question 2

The nurse provides discharge teaching for a 61-year-old patient who has had a left modified radical mastectomy and lymph node dissection. Which statement by the patient indicates that teaching has been successful?

a. I will need to use my right arm and to rest the left one.
  b. I will avoid reaching over the stove with my left hand.
  c. I will keep my left arm in a sling until the incision is healed.
  d. I will stop the left arm exercises if moving the arm is painful.

Question 3

A 33-year-old patient has a saline breast implant inserted in the outpatient surgery area. Which instruction will the nurse include in the discharge teaching?

a. Take aspirin every 4 hours to reduce inflammation.
  b. Check wound drains for excessive blood or a foul odor.
  c. Wear a loose-fitting bra to decrease irritation of the sutures.
  d. Resume normal activities 2 to 3 days after the mammoplasty.

Question 4

Which assessment finding in a 36-year-old patient is most indicative of a need for further evaluation?

a. Bilateral breast nodules that are tender with palpation
  b. A breast nodule that is 1 cm in size, nontender, and fixed
  c. A breast lump that increases in size before the menstrual period
  d. A breast lump that is small, mobile, with a rubbery consistency
Read 39 times
2 Replies