a
t
i
r
AndyWang AndyWang
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A nurse cares for a client with diabetes mellitus who is visually impaired. The client asks, Can I ask my niece to prefill my syringes and then store them for later use when I need them? How should the nurse respond?

a. Yes. Prefilled syringes can be stored for 3 weeks in the refrigerator in a vertical position with the needle pointing up.
  b. Yes. Syringes can be filled with insulin and stored for a month in a location that is protected from light.
  c. Insulin reacts with plastic, so prefilled syringes are okay, but you will need to use glass syringes.
  d. No. Insulin syringes cannot be prefilled and stored for any length of time outside of the container.

Question 2

After teaching a client with diabetes mellitus to inject insulin, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a need for additional teaching? a. The lower abdomen is the best location because it is closest

After teaching a client with diabetes mellitus to inject insulin, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a need for additional teaching?
  a.
  The lower abdomen is the best location because it is closest to the pancreas.
  b.
  I can reach my thigh the best, so I will use the different areas of my thighs.
  c.
  By rotating the sites in one area, my chance of having a reaction is decreased.
  d.
  Changing injection sites from the thigh to the arm will change absorption rates.

Question 3

A nurse cares for a client with diabetes mellitus who asks, Why do I need to administer more than one injection of insulin each day? How should the nurse respond?

a. You need to start with multiple injections until you become more proficient at self-injection.
  b. A single dose of insulin each day would not match your blood insulin levels and your food intake patterns.
  c. A regimen of a single dose of insulin injected each day would require that you eat fewer carbohydrates.
  d. A single dose of insulin would be too large to be absorbed, predictably putting you at risk for insulin shock.

Question 4

A nurse teaches a client with type 2 diabetes mellitus who is prescribed glipizide (Glucotrol). Which statement should the nurse include in this client's teaching?

a. Change positions slowly when you get out of bed.
  b. Avoid taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
  c. If you miss a dose of this drug, you can double the next dose.
  d. Discontinue the medication if you develop a urinary infection.

Question 5

A nurse teaches a client about self-monitoring of blood glucose levels. Which statement should the nurse include in this client's teaching to prevent bloodborne infections?

a. Wash your hands after completing each test.
  b. Do not share your monitoring equipment.
  c. Blot excess blood from the strip with a cotton ball.
  d. Use gloves when monitoring your blood glucose.

Question 6

A nurse cares for a client who is prescribed pioglitazone (Actos). After 6 months of therapy, the client reports that his urine has become darker since starting the medication. Which action should the nurse take?

a. Assess for pain or burning with urination.
  b. Review the client's liver function study results.
  c. Instruct the client to increase water intake.
  d. Test a sample of urine for occult blood.

Question 7

After teaching a client with type 2 diabetes mellitus who is prescribed nateglinide (Starlix), the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a correct understanding of the prescribed therapy?

a. I'll take this medicine during each of my meals.
  b. I must take this medicine in the morning when I wake.
  c. I will take this medicine before I go to bed.
  d. I will take this medicine immediately before I eat.
Read 65 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
gfricasgfricas
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 590 words.