n
O
h
d
butterfly butterfly
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
An emergency room nurse assesses a client after a motor vehicle crash and notes ecchymotic areas across the client's lower abdomen. Which action should the nurse take first?

a. Measure the client's abdominal girth.
  b. Assess for abdominal guarding or rigidity.
  c. Check the client's hemoglobin and hematocrit.
  d. Obtain the client's complete health history.

Question 2

A nurse cares for a client with colon cancer who has a new colostomy. The client states, I think it would be helpful to talk with someone who has had a similar experience. How should the nurse respond?

a. I have a good friend with a colostomy who would be willing to talk with you.
  b. The enterostomal therapist will be able to answer all of your questions.
  c. I will make a referral to the United Ostomy Associations of America.
  d. You'll find that most people with colostomies don't want to talk about them.

Question 3

A nurse cares for a client newly diagnosed with colon cancer who has become withdrawn from family members. Which action should the nurse take?

a. Contact the provider and recommend a psychiatric consult for the client.
  b. Encourage the client to verbalize feelings about the diagnosis.
  c. Provide education about new treatment options with successful outcomes.
  d. Ask family and friends to visit the client and provide emotional support.

Question 4

A nurse prepares a client for a colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow. The client states, My doctor told me that the fecal occult blood test was negative for colon cancer. I don't think I need the colonoscopy and would like to cancel it.

How should the nurse respond?

a.
  Your doctor should not have given you that information prior to the colonoscopy.
  b.
  The colonoscopy is required due to the high percentage of false negatives with the blood test.
  c.
  A negative fecal occult blood test does not rule out the possibility of colon cancer.
  d.
  I will contact your doctor so that you can discuss your concerns about the procedure.

Question 5

A nurse assessing a client with colorectal cancer auscultates high-pitched bowel sounds and notes the presence of visible peristaltic waves. Which action should the nurse take?

a. Ask if the client is experiencing pain in the right shoulder.
  b. Perform a rectal examination and assess for polyps.
  c. Contact the provider and recommend computed tomography.
  d. Administer a laxative to increase bowel movement activity.

Question 6

A nurse assesses clients at a community health center. Which client is at highest risk for the development of colorectal cancer?

a. A 37-year-old who drinks eight cups of coffee daily
  b. A 44-year-old with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
  c. A 60-year-old lawyer who works 65 hours per week
  d. A 72-year-old who eats fast food frequently

Question 7

A nurse assesses a client who is prescribed alosetron (Lotronex). Which assessment question should the nurse ask this client?

a. Have you been experiencing any constipation?
  b. Are you eating a diet high in fiber and fluids?
  c. Do you have a history of high blood pressure?
  d. What vitamins and supplements are you taking?
Read 59 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
The answer to question 1

ANS: B
On noticing the ecchymotic areas, the nurse should check to see if abdominal guarding or rigidity is present, because this could indicate major organ injury. The nurse should then notify the provider. Measuring abdominal girth or obtaining a complete health history is not appropriate at this time. Laboratory test results can be checked after assessment for abdominal guarding or rigidity.

The answer to question 2

ANS: C
Nurses need to become familiar with community-based resources to better assist clients. The local chapter of the United Ostomy Associations of America has resources for clients and their families, including Ostomates (specially trained visitors who also have ostomies). The nurse should not suggest that the client speak with a personal contact of the nurse. Although the enterostomal therapist is an expert in ostomy care, talking with him or her is not the same as talking with someone who actually has had a colostomy. The nurse should not brush aside the client's request by saying that most people with colostomies do not want to talk about them. Many people are willing to share their ostomy experience in the hope of helping others.

The answer to question 3

ANS: B
The nurse recognizes that the client may be expressing feelings of grief. The nurse should encourage the client to verbalize feelings and identify fears to move the client through the phases of the grief process. A psychiatric consult is not appropriate for the client. The nurse should not brush aside the client's feelings with discussions related to cancer prognosis and treatment. The nurse should not assume that the client desires family or friends to visit or provide emotional support.

The answer to question 4

A negative result from a fecal occult blood test does not completely rule out the possibility of colon cancer. To determine whether the client has colon cancer, a colonoscopy should be performed so the entire colon can be visualized and a tissue sample taken for biopsy. The client may want to speak with the provider, but the nurse should address the client's concerns prior to contacting the provider.

The answer to question 5

The presence of visible peristaltic waves, accompanied by high-pitched or tingling bowel sounds, is indicative of partial obstruction caused by the tumor. The nurse should contact the provider with these results and recommend a computed tomography scan for further diagnostic testing. This assessment finding is not associated with right shoulder pain; peritonitis and cholecystitis are associated with referred pain to the right shoulder. The registered nurse is not qualified to complete a rectal examination for polyps, and laxatives would not help this client.

The answer to question 6

ANS: D
Colon cancer is rare before the age of 40, but its incidence increases rapidly with advancing age. Fast food tends to be high in fat and low in fiber, increasing the risk for colon cancer. Coffee intake, IBS, and a heavy workload do not increase the risk for colon cancer.

The answer to question 7

ANS: A
Ischemic colitis is a life-threatening complication of alosetron. The nurse should assess the client for constipation. The other questions do not identify complications related to alosetron.
butterfly Author
wrote...
6 years ago
Helps a lot <3 Now I'm ready for my quiz
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1004 People Browsing
 111 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 8
Closes: November 4