j
l
d
y
davomuja davomuja
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
6 years ago
A nurse cares for a client with end-stage heart failure who is awaiting a transplant. The client appears depressed and states, I know a transplant is my last chance, but I don't want to become a vegetable. How should the nurse respond?

a. Would you like to speak with a priest or chaplain?
  b. I will arrange for a psychiatrist to speak with you.
  c. Do you want to come off the transplant list?
  d. Would you like information about advance directives?

Question 2

After teaching a client who is recovering from a heart transplant to change positions slowly, the client asks, Why is this important? How should the nurse respond?

a. Rapid position changes can create shear and friction forces, which can tear out your internal vascular sutures.
  b. Your new vascular connections are more sensitive to position changes, leading to increased intravascular pressure and dizziness.
  c. Your new heart is not connected to the nervous system and is unable to respond to decreases in blood pressure caused by position changes.
  d. While your heart is recovering, blood flow is diverted away from the brain, increasing the risk for stroke when you stand up.

Question 3

A nurse assesses a client with pericarditis. Which assessment finding should the nurse expect to find?

a. Heart rate that speeds up and slows down
  b. Friction rub at the left lower sternal border
  c. Presence of a regular gallop rhythm
  d. Coarse crackles in bilateral lung bases

Question 4

After teaching a client who is being discharged home after mitral valve replacement surgery, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which client statement indicates a need for additional teaching?

a. I'll be able to carry heavy loads after 6 months of rest.
  b. I will have my teeth cleaned by my dentist in 2 weeks.
  c. I must avoid eating foods high in vitamin K, like spinach.
  d. I must use an electric razor instead of a straight razor to shave.

Question 5

A nurse cares for a client with infective endocarditis. Which infection control precautions should the nurse use?

a. Standard Precautions
  b. Bleeding precautions
  c. Reverse isolation
  d. Contact isolation
Read 78 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
The answer to question 1

ANS: D
The client is verbalizing a real concern or fear about negative outcomes of the surgery. This anxiety itself can have a negative effect on the outcome of the surgery because of sympathetic stimulation. The best action is to allow the client to verbalize the concern and work toward a positive outcome without making the client feel as though he or she is crazy. The client needs to feel that he or she has some control over the future. The nurse personally provides care to address the client's concerns instead of pushing the client's issues off on a chaplain or psychiatrist. The nurse should not jump to conclusions and suggest taking the client off the transplant list, which is the best treatment option.

The answer to question 2

ANS: C
Because the new heart is denervated, the baroreceptor and other mechanisms that compensate for blood pressure drops caused by position changes do not function. This allows orthostatic hypotension to persist in the postoperative period. The other options are false statements and do not correctly address the client's question.

The answer to question 3

ANS: B
The client with pericarditis may present with a pericardial friction rub at the left lower sternal border. This sound is the result of friction from inflamed pericardial layers when they rub together. The other assessments are not related.

The answer to question 4

ANS: B
Clients who have defective or repaired valves are at high risk for endocarditis. The client who has had valve surgery should avoid dental procedures for 6 months because of the risk for endocarditis. When undergoing a mitral valve replacement surgery, the client needs to be placed on anticoagulant therapy to prevent vegetation forming on the new valve. Clients on anticoagulant therapy should be instructed on bleeding precautions, including using an electric razor. If the client is prescribed warfarin, the client should avoid foods high in vitamin K. Clients recovering from open heart valve replacements should not carry anything heavy for 6 months while the chest incision and muscle heal.

The answer to question 5

ANS: A
The client with infective endocarditis does not pose any specific threat of transmitting the causative organism. Standard Precautions should be used. Bleeding precautions or reverse or contact isolation is not necessary.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1506 People Browsing
 216 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 484