s
c
k
m
jblazah jblazah
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
A 61-year-old man's elevated prostate screening antigen (PSA) levels and abnormal digital rectal examination (DRE) results prompted his care provider to refer him for treatment.

The patient has subsequently been diagnosed with prostate cancer and is scheduled for surgery. The nurse should recognize that this patient's plan of nursing care should include interventions to address what potential long-term complication of prostate surgery?
  A) Erectile dysfunction
  B) Stress incontinence
  C) Urge incontinence
  D) Abdominal distention

Question 2

One of a hospital patient's scheduled 08:00 medications is finasteride (Proscar), a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor that the nurse recognizes as a treatment for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).

The nurse should be aware that this drug achieves a therapeutic effect by:
  A) Increasing the osmolality of urine, facilitating easier passage through the urethra
  B) Relaxing the smooth muscle of the bladder neck and prostate
  C) Inhibiting the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone
  D) Increasing the tone of the bladder's detrusor muscle

Question 3

While assessing a patient at the clinic the nurse notes patchy, milky white spots. The nurse knows that this finding is:

A) Cyanosis
  B) Addison's disease
  C) Polycythemia
  D) Vitiligo

Question 4

A nurse who provides care for numerous older adults is aware of the high incidence and prevalence of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) among older men. Which of the following statements by patients is suggestive of BPH?

A) After I have an orgasm, I have throbbing pain for the next few minutes.
  B) I find that I have to get up three or four times each night to go to the bathroom.
  C) The last few days, I have a dull ache in my testicles sometimes.
  D) I found a creamy white discharge at the end of my penis yesterday.

Question 5

The nurse in an ambulatory care center is admitting an elderly patient who has bright red moles on his skin. Benign changes in elderly skin that appear as bright red moles are termed what?

A) Cherry angiomas
  B) Solar lentigo
  C) Seborrheic keratoses
  D) Xanthelasma

Question 6

A 58-year-old patient has been diagnosed with acute prostatitis after seeking care for severe perineal pain. The patient's severe leukocytosis has prompted the care team to admit him to the medical unit of the hospital for treatment.

The nurse should anticipate that this patient's treatment regimen will include which of the following?
  A) Insertion of a suprapubic catheter
  B) Administration of IV antibiotics
  C) Intermittent urinary catheterization every 2 to 4 hours
  D) Administration of beta-adrenergic blockers to relax the prostate
Read 61 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
gumpfablegumpfable
wrote...
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free