m
K
g
L
w
noobdude noobdude
wrote...
6 years ago
While making a visit to an older patient the nurse screens the home environment for potential hazards that could precipitate a fall. What should the nurse urge the patient to eliminate in the home? Standard Text: Select all that apply.

1. Throw rugs
  2. Night-lights
  3. The use of a cane
  4. Railings on the stairway
  5. Telephone with a long cord

Question 2

The nurse is attempting to place a urinary catheter in a 96-year-old female client. The nurse is unable to visualize the client's urinary meatus. An alternate position to facilitate the insertion of the catheter would include

A) supine with the head of bed (HO
  B) elevated at 90?.
  B) supine with the bed flat, legs bent and apart.
  C) supine with the HOB elevated at 30?.
  D) side-lying lifting up the buttock.

Question 3

At the completion of an assessment the nurse determines that an older patient is at risk for the development of osteoporosis. What did the nurse assess in this patient?

1. Obese with hip pain with ambulation
  2. Ingests three glasses of skim milk daily
  3. Eats three to five servings of shrimp and liver per week
  4. Takes corticosteroids for 10 years for chronic pulmonary disease

Question 4

An 80-year-old woman describes having to go to the bathroom more frequently at night. The nurse interprets this assessment data to be symptoms of

A) increased glycosuria.
  B) normal changes of aging.
  C) fluid overload.
  D) impairment of drug excretion.

Question 5

An older patient wants to prevent the onset of osteoporosis. How can the nurse instruct the patient at this time? Standard Text: Select all that apply.

1. Stop smoking and reduce caffeine intake.
  2. Ingest adequate amounts of calcium every day.
  3. Have an annual bone mineral density (BMD) test.
  4. Increase the intake of beverages containing phosphorous.
  5. Perform isometric exercises for 30 minutes at least 3 times a week.

Question 6

The student nurse has assisted with providing discharge instructions for a client diagnosed with pneumonia. Which of the following statements made by the client would suggest that further instruction is needed?

A) I will get the pneumococcal vaccine every fall.
  B) I will get the pneumococcal vaccine as soon as I recover from this pneumonia.
  C) I will get the influenza vaccine every year.
  D) I can't get the influenza vaccine due to my allergy to eggs.

Question 7

An older patient with osteoarthritis is prescribed acetaminophen (Tylenol) for pain. What should the nurse teach the patient about this medication?

1. Excessive acetaminophen can cause gastrointestinal irritation.
  2. Taking acetaminophen around-the-clock will slow the progression of osteoarthritis.
  3. Acetaminophen cannot be used with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
  4. The maximum amount of acetaminophen should not exceed 4 grams in a 24-hour period.
Read 63 times
3 Replies