m
c
o
l
buffy415 buffy415
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A 79-year-old woman had a total knee replacement yesterday; she has rung her call light to report pain. What consideration should the nurse prioritize when choosing an appropriate intervention?

A) The fact that the woman has a documented history of persistent pain that precedes her surgery
  B) The need to ensure that the woman does not develop addiction during her course of treatment
  C) The fact that women consistently report a higher prevalence of persistent pain than men
  D) The need to provide prompt, adequate relief of the woman's pain

Question 2

A nurse assesses an older adult client with confusion related to hyponatremia who reports pain. Which of the following data should the nurse use as a guide for choosing interventions?

A) Symptoms of hyponatremia do not include pain.
  B) The client does not manifest any outward signs of pain.
  C) The client is confused from the pain.
  D) The client rates the pain at 8 out of 10.

Question 3

A nurse assesses the pain of an older adult. Which of the following findings indicates the presence of persistent pain?

A) The client's vital signs are unchanged.
  B) The client is asleep in the chair.
  C) The client has not reported pain to the nurse.
  D) The client rubs hands together.

Question 4

A nurse assesses an older adult following the repair of an abdominal hernia. The older adult client states, I really hate to take pain medication. Which response by the nurse is best?

A) Early treatment of pain helps now and can reduce the incidence of chronic pain.
  B) Pain medication today doesn't really have any side effects.
  C) Tell me about your fears regarding pain medication.
  D) This pain you are having is normal, and as you heal, the pain level will decrease.

Question 5

An 80-year-old black woman minimizes her pain in the joints and back as normal aging. Which of the following actions by the nurse is most appropriate?

A) Address the client's concerns regarding addiction.
  B) Allow the client to choose to minimize the pain.
  C) Encourage opioid use for pain relief.
  D) Offer warm packs for joints.

Question 6

A nurse plans discharge instructions of a 78-year-old black client with newly diagnosed dilated heart failure. The client states, Will I be going home on hospice now that my heart is failing?

Which of the following responses is most appropriate by the nurse?

A) Heart failure is a chronic condition that can be controlled with medication.
  B) No, but you will have palliative care.
  C) You must go to cardiac rehabilitation.
  D) You will need to take medications for the rest of your life.

Question 7

A 73-year-old client is admitted to the hospital. A nurse assesses the client for frailty. Which of the following indicate frailty? (Select all that apply.)

A) Diminished handgrip strength
  B) High level of physical activity
  C) Intentional weight loss
  D) Self-reported exhaustion
  E) Slow walking speed

Question 8

A nurse discusses health promotion with a group of older adult women. The nurse suggests a Pap test every 2 years. One woman states, I haven't had a Pap since the change, why would I do that now? Which response by the nurse is best?

A) Annual checkup by your primary care provider to examine your ovaries is appropriate.
  B) Avoidance doesn't help with diagnosis of cancers.
  C) Risk of death from ovarian cancer is twice as high among women aged 65 and older.
  D) Women who don't have sex are at higher risk for ovarian cancer.
Read 190 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
steph7247steph7247
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 660 words.