K
g
L
w
jk56 jk56
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
An older adult has recently experienced a number of stressful life events. The client comes to the ambulatory clinic and tells the nurse that, On top of all I've had to endure, now I've got this flu In rendering care for this client, the nurse recogniz

a. the client is exhibiting attention-seeking behaviors to substitute for poor coping skills.
  b. crisis and stressful situations may produce emotions that erode the health of the older people.
  c. the client is exhibiting learned helplessness as a result of the recent stressors.
  d. a period of crisis will ultimately lead to a lower level of physical and mental functioning.

Question 2

When asked to make meal-related choices, an older resident angrily states, Why are you asking me? You guys always do what you want anyway The nurse responds:

a. I am very interested in you getting the food you want to eat.
  b. Can you tell me why you are so angry today?
  c. Are you feeling that you have no power over what happens to you?
  d. I'll come back later and we can make the decisions then.

Question 3

What reply should the nurse make, when an older adult asks, How much alcohol is good for you?

a. Alcohol isn't good for you so avoid it as a general rule.
  b. Experts in the field recommend only one regular sized drink a day.
  c. It's been said that red wine has health benefits but that doesn't mean drink a whole bottle.
  d. If you are only drinking on special occasions, limit yourself to 2 drinks.

Question 4

When educating the older adult population about the risks to physical health that chronic alcohol abuse presents, the nurse is especially careful to include the:

a. Identification of the signs and symptoms of gastrointestinal bleeding
  b. Need to avoid injuries resulting from falls due to cognitive impairment
  c. Importance of maintaining a healthy, well-balanced diet
  d. Effect seen related to hepatic disease induced jaundice

Question 5

When discussing electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) with an older chronically depressed adult and their family, which statement will the nurse use to support this intervention?

a. This treatment has been shown to be effective in individuals who have not responded well to antidepressant medications.
  b. ECT has been found to be as effective in older adults as in younger adults.
  c. ECT is a safe intervention for those with depression.
  d. While there may be some short term memory loss, most individuals find that their memory comes back within a few days.
Read 56 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
jfavelajfavela
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 460 words.