r
d
l
a
mack mack
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
Maintaining a culturally diverse staff and working with a culturally diverse patient population is an important function of a nurse manager who works in the hospital of a large medical center.

On your palliative care unit, you have recently received complaints from families about ineffective pain management for their family members and you determine this occurs primarily when certain nurses are working. What approach might you take to resolve the concerns of the families, patients, and potentially, the staff?

a. Reinforce to staff that practice guidelines support as-needed analgesia for the terminally ill.
  b. Ask staff input on the development of stricter guidelines to ensure that all terminally patients are given sufficient analgesia.
  c. Encourage conversation with patients and among staff that facilitates learning about cultural beliefs and priorities in dying.
  d. Advise families that the administration of analgesia is based on the expert clinical judgment of nurses who are familiar with care of patients in palliative care.

Question 2

As a nurse manager, you notice that Maria, a Hispanic nurse aide, is visibly upset. When you ask her if something is wrong, she becomes tearful and says,

Why is it that when John and I work together in giving patients care, he jokes about my being a little fat Mexican? The nurse manager's best response is, Do you think he:

a. Is sensitive to your culture?
  b. Wants to learn more about you?
  c. Has been hurt and wants to hurt others?
  d. Is stereotyping you without thinking?

Question 3

One of the staff nurses on your unit makes the comment, All this time I thought Mary was black. She says she is Jamaican. The best response would be to say:

a. Who cares what she is?
  b. What did you think when you learned she was Jamaican?
  c. Why did you assume she was black?
  d. We have never had a Jamaican on this unit.

Question 4

Cultural diversity is the term used to describe a vast range of cultural differences. Events have symbolic meanings for the nurse manager and the staff. The event that would be most likely to provide symbolic meaning to a nurse manager and staff is a:

a. Task force formed to commemorate a New Year's celebration in the Western tradition.
  b. Project to provide Christmas gifts to the children in a daycare program.
  c. Celebration of National Nurses Week with the focus on cultural care.
  d. Task force to develop a poster for the unit depicting religions of the world.

Question 5

According to Leininger, cultural imposition is a major concern in nursing because nurses have a tendency to impose their values, beliefs, and practices on patients of other cultures.

The discussion topic most likely to be without cultural imposition would be:

a. Abortion.
  b. Wound management.
  c. Blood transfusion.
  d. Advance directives.
Read 76 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
tdun18tdun18
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 390 words.