A
B
j
s
huhlady28 huhlady28
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A client who overeats and is overweight is admitted to the hospital for shortness of breath. Which of the following statements by the nurse reflects Bandura's social theory?

a. Your cardiac studies reveal an enlarged heart. This is a sign of cardiac problems.
  b. I know you love to eat, but your current lifestyle is not conducive to good health.
  c. Can you remember what it was like to get up and go to work every day? Your buddies miss you.
  d. If you were to lose weight, you would no longer experience shortness of breath. Just think about how much better you would feel to breathe normally.

Question 2

A client who has an elevation in serum cholesterol continues to eat red meat and fried foods. Which stage of change is this client experiencing?

a. Determination
  b. Action
  c. Precontemplation
  d. Contemplation

Question 3

A client who is recovering from her second myocardial infarction refuses to give up smoking. She states, I've smoked so long now there's no point quitting as the damage is done. This statement is best understood in the context of which of the following?

a. Social learning theory
  b. Pender's health promotion model
  c. The transtheoretical model of change
  d. Healthy People 2010

Question 4

The initial interpersonal strategy to help the client reduce strong emotion to a workable level involves

a. talking the emotion through with someone.
  b. providing a neutral, accepting, interpersonal environment.
  c. taking action that might help the client come to terms with the emotional consequences.
  d. obtaining more information.

Question 5

Which of the following are strategies the nurse should use when dealing with an angry client? (Select all that apply.)

a. Defuse hostility
  b. Avoid responding to a client's anger by getting angry
  c. Speak quickly and use a higher tone of voice
  d. Use empathy when communicating with the client
  e. Remain with the client

Question 6

The nurse is teaching an unlicensed assistive personnel (UAP) on potential approaches for dealing with difficult clients. The nurse recognizes that additional teaching is required when the UAP states

a. I will be assertive by conveying my irritation toward the client's behavior.
  b. I will collaborate with staff so we all use the same uniform approach when responding to the client's demands.
  c. I will promote trust in the client by providing immediate feedback.
  d. I will explain to the client the limits of my role as an UAP.

Question 7

When interacting with the nurse, a client makes several condescending remarks directed toward the nurse. The nurse recognizes this behavior as an example of

a. the use of humor.
  b. active listening.
  c. a verbal clue to anger.
  d. assertiveness.
Read 20 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
Answer to #1

ANS: D
Bandura considers learning to be a social process. He identified three sets of motivating factors that promote the learning necessary to achieve a predetermined goal: (1) physical motivators, (2) social incentives, and (3) cognitive motivators. Your cardiac studies reveal an enlarged heart. This is a sign of cardiac problems.; I know you love to eat, but your current lifestyle is not conducive to good health.; and Can you remember what it was like to get up and go to work every day? Your buddies miss you. are interventions used with the transtheoretical model of change.

Answer to #2

ANS: C
In the precontemplation stage, a person either doesn't see a health problem, even though it may be obvious to others, or doesn't have any intention of modifying it in the foreseeable future.

Answer to #3

ANS: B
Pender's health promotion model serves as a guide for planning successful education with individuals and targeted high risk groups. A person's capacity to absorb and use health promotion information depends to a large degree on what the person believes about his or her health and the extent to which personal actions will influence their health. In social learning theory, motivation is a fundamental component of learning readiness. Motivation to change is a state of readiness that fluctuates. Healthy People 2010 represents the health promotion agenda for the nation.

Answer to #4

ANS: B
The initial interpersonal strategy used to help clients reduce strong emotion to a workable level is to provide a neutral, accepting, interpersonal environment. The second step in defusing the strength of an emotion is to talk the emotion through with someone. The third phase is to take action. The specific needs expressed by the emotion suggest actions that might help the client come to terms with the consequences of the emotion. This responsibility might take the form of obtaining more information or of taking some concrete risks to change behaviors that sabotage the goals of the relationship.

Answer to #5

ANS: A, B, D
The nurse should defuse hostility by avoiding responding to a client's anger by becoming angry also. The nurse should use empathy in his or her communication. An angry client needs to have the nurse acknowledge both the issue and his or her feelings about that issue. Only then can the client begin to interact in a meaningful way. Empathy by the nurse may help defuse the situation. The nurse should deliberately begin to lower his or her voice and speak more slowly. When we get upset, we tend to speak quickly and use a higher tone of voice. If the nurse does the opposite, the client may begin to mimic him or her and thus calm down. The goal is to maintain safety while helping the client. Therefore, it may not always be appropriate to remain with the client because this may place the nurse in danger of physical harm. If the nurse feels in danger of physical harm, he or she should always maintain a space for safety and plan an exit.

Answer to #6

ANS: A
Potential approaches for dealing with difficult clients include using a calm tone and avoiding conveying irritation. Potential approaches for dealing with difficult clients also include: working with staff so all use the same uniform approach to the client's demands; promoting trust by providing immediate feedback; and explaining the limits of one's role.

Answer to #7

ANS: C
Nonverbal clues to anger include grimacing, clenching jaws or fists, turning away, and refusing to maintain eye contact. Verbal clues by a client may, of course, include use of an angry tone of voice, but they may also be disguised as witty sarcasm or as condescending or insulting remarks. The client's remarks are condescending, not humorous. The client's remarks are verbal, not nonverbal. Use of condescending remarks is an example of passive-aggressive communication.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1049 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 261