t
i
r
r
Catracho Catracho
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
5 years ago
It is hardly controversial to note that there are biological differences between men and women. Gender typing, though, focuses on expectations regarding social preferences, behavioral patterns, and how one presents oneself physically, and most of us would agree that teasing young children for exhibiting “gender-inappropriate” tendencies is not a good thing. Clearly, children are going to learn to categorize people by gender and other social dimensions—do you think this means that gender typing and other forms of stereotypes are inevitable? In other words, can children learn to recognize physical difference (and similarity) between people without jumping to conclusions about how they will or should act? Should we strive to prevent such conclusions, or does your answer to this question differ depending on whether we are talking about gender versus another dimension such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or others? Use both material from the chapter and personal experiences in your response.
Read 153 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
5 years ago
Clearly, children are going to learn to categorize people by gender and other social dimensions—do you think this means that gender typing and other forms of stereotypes are inevitable?

I think it's inevitable because everyone parents their children differently. My husband and I come from similar backgrounds, and we both parent our child different than the way our parents raised us. On top of that, we have our own philosophies when it comes to parenting. in IF research says that gender typing is learned behavior, then EVERY parent would have to raise their child the same way for it to escape society after a few generations. However, I don't think it is learned behavior. Male and female behavior is heavily dictated by our genetics. Adult males are hunters, while adult females are gatherers. Gender identity is dictated by our hormones, which is why trans-gender people take hormone theory to alter their state of being. Acquiring stereotypes about gender, race, ethnicity, etc. is what has allowed us to survive as humans; we seek patterns in people to help protect us from danger. If a black tribes feels threatened by a tribe of Caucasians because of a situation that happened recently, they'll trust white people less (or vice versa).

If you were expecting an answer of greater detail, please let me know and I'll think of something better
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1053 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293