l
a
marinejas marinejas
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, marinejas
a) f(x) = 3 log10(bottom exponent) x + 3
e) k(x) = 4 log10(bottom exponent) (1/6x) - 2
f) r(x) = log10(bottom exponent) (-2x -4)
Hi so I had some trouble creating a chart with these 3 different equations, the other video that you suggested showed mainly the basic ones like y = 5^x, so just wanted to know if you know how to graph these ones, y=a log 10(bottom exponent) [k(x - d)] + c thanks, if not that's okay as well.
Read 337 times
16 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
3 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free

Related Topics

wrote...
Educator
3 years ago

marinejas Author
wrote...
3 years ago
okay that makes sense, and say if I wanted a more accurate graph with more points, I would not only use the original points (1,0) and (10,1) but also (1/10, -1) and (32, 1.5). If I wanted to use those last two points, I would just do the same exact same?
Overall when there's a vertical stretch you would always multiply (a value) and when its the c) value you subtract/or add (whether it goes up or down). I'm just a little confused on how you did the horizontal stretch.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
For the horizontal stretch, I don't know any other way but to plug the x-value into the equation provided.

You're right about all those other follow-up questions. You're free to use as many points as you like.
marinejas Author
wrote...
3 years ago
The x value of the points (1, -2) (10,2) into the equation? Because I wasn't getting (1, -5.1) (10, -1.1).
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
For the second equation, you should if you sub. x = 1 then 10.
marinejas Author
wrote...
3 years ago
okay got it now, but just another thing, so the x values of these points never change? They just affect the y's?
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Yes, x is independent, y is the dependent.
marinejas Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Okay thanks again bio_man, I'm really sorry but just another question before I mark this solved. How about if I was given a horizontal translation? What would you do.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, bio_man
log (x + a)

The "a" part?

So if we start with (1,0), and a is + 6, then the new point would be (-6, 0). However, if you plug in x = 1 into the equation, you'll get a new y-coordinate as well for 1.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
I meant to write (-6,0)
marinejas Author
wrote...
3 years ago
I tried doing f) and I started by -2x which is a horizontal compression by a factor of -1/2. So I plugged in 0.1, the x value (my first point) into the equation log(-2(0.1)-4) but gave me an error on my calculator.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
That's expected marinejas:

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1128 People Browsing
 120 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?