s
a
t
i
r
shaundavis24 shaundavis24
wrote...
13 years ago
I cannot find anything about this in my book... can anyone help with this??? PLEASE!

Situation:  You need to step up on a step to reach an object on a high shelf over your head.  Your starting point should be anatomical position and your finishing point should be the position you are in once your hand has reached the object overhead.

Instructions: 
(Part 1) Trace the nerve impulse, listing the “macroscopic” structures and steps in as much detail as possible, from which your brain sends the message to the appropriate muscles to step up one step. 
Read 3548 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, bio_man
Hey, welcome back.

You have to answer this using knowledge of the sliding filament theory. Check the animations section for animations on this process or search the forum - lots of stuff available. Basically the sliding filament model explains how the myosin head moves down the actin polymer, generating movement. It starts when a neurotransmitter, acetylcholine, is released unto skeletal muscles. When acetylcholine binds to acetylcholine receptors on skeletal muscle fibers, it opens ligand-gated sodium channels in the cell membrane. Sodium ions then enter the muscle cell, initiating a sequence of steps that finally produce muscle contraction. When a muscle contracts, myosin molecules coil up like springs to shorten the length. Myosin is a motor protein that converts the chemical bond energy of ATP into the mechanical energy of motion. Each myosin molecule acts as an enzyme that both binds ATP and releases its energy, and the energy released by ATP produces the power stroke by swiveling the myosin head. As ATP binds to the myosin head at the beginning of a muscle contraction cycle, the myosin head detaches from actin.

This should help you get started, shaundavis24. Hope this helps!

Also, try this step-by-step animation: http://bcs.whfreeman.com/thelifewire/content/chp47/4702001.html

Bio_man
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
Is this question solved? If so, please mark it as solved.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
imranrocks Author
wrote...
12 years ago
I cannot find anything about this in my book... can anyone help with this??? PLEASE!

Situation:  You need to step up on a step to reach an object on a high shelf over your head.  Your starting point should be anatomical position and your finishing point should be the position you are in once your hand has reached the object overhead.

Instructions: 
(Part 1) Trace the nerve impulse, listing the “macroscopic” structures and steps in as much detail as possible, from which your brain sends the message to the appropriate muscles to step up one step. 

u need to look at the animation for this also remember your nerves it will help out. Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1289 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?