k
j
o
CooperS CooperS
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
9 years ago
Hi,

Is Sevenless considered an EGFR? Sevenless does not dimerize, right? Do EGFR's dimerize by definition?

Thanks
Read 771 times
3 Replies
~Cooper
Replies
rsb
wrote...
9 years ago
The sevenless gene encodes a receptor tyrosine kinase (RTK).
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
CooperS Author
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, CooperS
The sevenless gene encodes a receptor tyrosine kinase (RTK).

Yes, but aren't EGFR's RTK's? The two categories aren't mutually exclusive. I am not sure if BoSS is considered a "growth factor" or not.
~Cooper
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Yes, but aren't EGFR's RTK's?

Hi Cooper, according to Wikipedia, the epidermal growth factor receptor is a member of the ErbB family of receptors, a subfamily of four closely related receptor tyrosine kinases: EGFR (ErbB-1), HER2/c-neu (ErbB-2), Her 3 (ErbB-3) and Her 4 (ErbB-4). Not entirely sure what that means.

I think I may need to touch up on this, I also found this which I found interesting:

The R8 photo receptor contains an activator of the RTK (receptor tyrosine kinase) for on a precursor R7 cell, called the bride of sevenless (BOSS). The binding of BOSS to sevenless stimulates a complex series of reactions involving the RTK (sevenless), MAP kinases, Ras and many more molecules to differentiate that precursor R7 photo receptor to a fully functional R7 photo receptor that can see UV light.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  949 People Browsing
Gallery

Your Opinion