A
B
j
s
lhianeo8 lhianeo8
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
What physical motor allows them movement of that nature? It's just an enzyme right? A concoction of amino acids? Please no mythological answers please, hard science people.
Read 550 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Well, I don't know the actual mechanism that's used for the polymerase to back up... but I can imagine that the protein can sense a mismatch by the shape of the DNA strand as it passes over it.  If there is a mismatch, obviously the strand will have a "bump" or a shallow spot, depending on the mismatch between base pairs.

This is what wikipedia had to say about error correction with DNA polymerase:
"Error correction is a property of some, but not all, DNA polymerases. This process corrects mistakes in newly-synthesized DNA. When an incorrect base pair is recognized, DNA polymerase reverses its direction by one base pair of DNA. The 3'->5' exonuclease activity of the enzyme allows the incorrect base pair to be excised (this activity is known as proofreading). Following base excision, the polymerase can re-insert the correct base and replication can continue."

I hope this helps at least a little.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1072 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 10
Closes: November 4