a
t
i
r
littlefoot00 littlefoot00
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
I'm a Junior in in a Medical Professions High School, with a strong GPA, from Texas. Hook 'em Horns. With that in mind, I'm not very interested in Undergraduate work. I was told recently of the possibility of going to Medical School in the Caribbean right after 12th grade. My research has turned up no such findings. Will you direct me to any Caribbean schools entering students right out of High School. Obviously, I don't want to limit my options to just that, but I am really interested in the possibility of having a strong medical profession by 24, the same time people are just begging medical school.
Thanks!
I'm a Junior in in a Medical Professions High School, with a strong GPA, from Texas. Hook 'em Horns. With that in mind, I'm not very interested in Undergraduate work. I was told recently of the possibility of going to Medical School in the Caribbean right after 12th grade. My research has turned up no such findings. Will you direct me to any Caribbean schools entering students right out of High School. Obviously, I don't want to limit my options to just that, but I am really interested in the possibility of having a beginning my medical profession by 22, the same time people are just entering medical school.
Thanks!
Read 1283 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
There is at least one medical school in the Caribbean [Grenada], but you would still need a Bachelor's degree to be admitted.  I highly doubt there are any medical schools that take students directly from high school.  

First year med students are not usually 24 years old - they're about 21, just like any other recent college graduates.  And you wouldn't have a "strong medical profession" by the time you're 24.  You would be nearing the end of medical school and would still have several years of internship/residency/fellowship ahead of you.  And, if you want to get a good internship/residency placement, you're going to want to attend and do well in a good med school in the US, assuming that is where you want to practice.
wrote...
12 years ago
See, that doesn't make that much sense because you'd have gone to a small med school probably outside of the US and not have taken the 4 years of college that everyone else had to strengthen their understanding of anatomy and what not. The facilities would suck and the teachers as well, and I doubt that it'd be some walk in the park. My sister just spent 3 days studying for a pass-fail exam.

I don't anything about the caribbean, and that plan just seems to be going in a bad direction. But you know, in the UK, they accept students who start working in medicine the moment they start in college. Apparently, students have to select a field to study in and then focus on that for their college career. You'd get a degree in 6 years, so if you're 18 now, you'd be done when you're 24. Plus, you'd have an amazing degree from an amazing college (hopefully)
wrote...
12 years ago
That just sounds like a really bad idea. If you value the quality of your medical education, you will go to a 4 year college, get your bachelor's degree and then go to med school, just like the rest of us.
wrote...
12 years ago
What you are asking for is possible, but before I give you the information please allow me to offer this advice:  medicine is about following the rules.  Despite what you see on TV or in the movies, there aren't any 'cowboys' in medicine bucking the system and doing heroic deeds.  Medicine is very cautious and progresses through research and steadfast adherence to accepted medical practice (i.e., following the rules).  You could excel in your studies and appear to be the next set of great hands, but you're going to make a lot of people nervous because you have shown a willingness to cut corners or buck the system.  If you never make a mistake in your life it won't be such a big deal.  But imagine yourself before a jury and the attorney asks you where you got your undergraduate degree and you have to answer that you don't have one.  You've lost right there.

The better Caribbean medical schools are recognized by the state of California.  If California recognizes your school you can practice in all 50 states.  Here's the link to the schools California recognizes:  http://www.medbd.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html  The Caribbean schools listed each have their own pre-med programs.

None of the pre-med credits will transfer to the US.  If you start in a pre-med program you will have to graduate from that medical school.  Even the other Caribbean medical schools do not recognize each others credits.

You can visit ValueMD.com and talk to people in the pre-med programs and attending any of the Caribbean medical schools.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1256 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292