g
L
w
m
j
datageekgh datageekgh
wrote...
11 years ago
Could the event Horizon in a black hole be in the process of defying the principles of physics laid down by Einstein? I.E. Could it be traveling faster than the speed of light? Much faster?: Taking into account, tremendous gravity density and it's resulting effect in changing the relative time, perhaps speeding up time, could this
event Horizon be traveling at tremendous speeds?
quote: I didn't intend to classify the event horizon as a "thing". I was just curious about peoples view as to how fast matter/light could be traveling in it. We know that e=mc2,but could that equation change?
lol, I guess I'm being negatively influenced by science documentaries on T.V. that show a computer simulation of the point of singularity(e. horizon) "moving" or "spinning"
Read 516 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
You got a problem with yor question making it invalid...  The event horizon isnt a "thing" its a region.  In this region in the exact infitesimal surface we call the event horizon, there is light being hung in place.  This is because the event horizon is the exact region in which the velocity needed to escape is eqaul to that of light.  So to answer your question no, it doesnt.  Because the event horizon is not moving at all, because its nothing to begin with, its a region, as i stated earlier
wrote...
11 years ago
1) The event horizon of a black hole is not a
physical object. It is simply a place in space,
the way an orbit is a position. It is the point
beyond which anyone outside the black hole
can see what's going on inside it. In other words, a literal horizon.
Since it's not a physical object, it is not limited to the speed of light velocity restriction. I would expect, however, that during the formation of the singularity, the position of the event horizon probably does travel faster than light.
2) The only time the position of the event horizon would change would be during the initial formation of the black hole, when the singularity first formed, and also if the black hole got larger due to mass increase.
wrote...
11 years ago
The event horizon of a black hole is a region located at a certain radius of the black hole's singularity. That radius is determined by the black hole's mass. It doesn't really travel at all. It may expand outward very slowly as the black hole gains mass (for example, by drawing off matter from a nearby star), but it will never move very quickly.
wrote...
11 years ago
Black holes are a prediction of Einsteins' Relativity. As such, they are hardly likely to defy those same laws that imply their existence.

Relativity describes an entirely internally consistent picture of black hole physics.
wrote...
11 years ago
If a black hole could exist the event horizon would be a theoretical entity that would define a certain gravitational force.
  It would have no speed and it would have to be perfectly spherical.
  The quantum effect would mandate that it could be no thicker than about one-tenth of a mm.
  Since all the mass would be concentrated at the center anything that penetrated the surface would have to exceed the speed of light,which is not possible.
  That is the orbital velocity below the surface would exceed the speed of light.
  These things make a black hole a nonviable entity.
julie Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Ok everybody here is wrong.

Alright, first off, the event horizon does not have to be perfectly spherical, in the case of a rotating (Kerr) black hole, the event horizon will bulge at the middle.

As for the speed it's traveling, you really didn't phrase your question well at all, you clearly aren't well versed in these things. But anyway, from an outside view, anytime matter falls into the black hole, its event horizon expands, so it is moving in that it gets bigger, the fastest it can advance into more area is the speed of light.

As for within the event horizon, we really cannot say anything as relativity breaks down when curvature of space-time becomes infinite (the event horizon surrounds the region where this happens), so we have no theory about what happens beyond baseless speculation.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1160 People Browsing
 137 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 300