t
i
r
RADIOhead RADIOhead
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
12 years ago
the determining factor for the size that cells can attain is
A. a ratio of optimal surface area to volume for the efficient transfer of nutrients and waster
B. a ratio of small surface area to volume ratio for the efficient transfer of nutrients and wastes
C. the strength of the plasma membrane to contain the cytoplasm and its organelles
D. the weight of the solution of solutes comprising the cytoplasm
Read 5435 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
the determining factor for the size that cells can attain is

A. a ratio of optimal surface area to volume for the efficient transfer of nutrients and waster
B. a ratio of small surface area to volume ratio for the efficient transfer of nutrients and wastes

C. the strength of the plasma membrane to contain the cytoplasm and its organelles
D. the weight of the solution of solutes comprising the cytoplasm

I hate the wording on this one, it could be either A or B

How Surface Area to Volume Ratio Limits Cell Size

1. A cell is a metabolic compartment where a multitude of chemical reactions occur.

2. The number of reactions increase as the volume of metabolic volume within a cell increases. (The larger the volume the larger the number of reactions)

3.All raw materials necessary for metabolism can enter the cell only through its cell membrane.

4.The greater the surface area the larger the amount of raw materials that can enter at only one time.

5.Each unit of volume requires a specific amount of surface area to supply its metabolism with raw materials. The amount of surface area available to each unit of volume varies with the size of a cell.

6. As a cell grows its SA/V decreases.

7. At some point in its growth its SA/V becomes so small that its surface area is too small to supply its raw materials to its volume. At this point the cell cannot get larger.
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
Thinking Face I'm going to say A because not all cells are tiny, some cells, think of an egg, are huge so they want to optimize their surface area to volume.

Though I'm not 100 percent sure.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
Read this blurb and tell me if you get anything out of it.

Biology

The ratio between the surface area and volume of cells and organisms has an enormous impact on their biology. For example, many aquatic microorganisms have increased surface area to increase their drag in the water. This reduces their rate of sink and allows them to remain near the surface with less energy expenditure. Humans and other large animals cannot rely on diffusion for absorption and rejection of respiratory gases, for their whole body; however, animals such as flatworms and leeches can, as they have more surface area per unit volume. For similar reasons, surface to volume ratio places a maximum limit on the size of a cell.

An increased surface area to volume ratio also means increased exposure to the environment. The many tentacles of jellyfish and anemones provide increased surface area for the acquisition of food. Greater surface area allows more of the surrounding water to be sifted for nutrients.

Individual organs in animals are often shaped by requirements of surface area to volume ratio. The numerous internal branchings of the lung increase the surface area through which oxygen is passed into the blood and carbon dioxide is released from the blood. The intestine has a finely wrinkled internal surface, increasing the area through which nutrients are absorbed by the body.

A wide and thin cell, such as a nerve cell or a convoluted one such as a microvillus has a greater surface-area-to-volume ratio than a spheroidal one.

Increased surface area can also lead to biological problems. More contact with the environment through the surface of a cell or an organ (relative to its volume) increases loss of water and dissolved substances. High surface-area-to-volume ratios also present problems of temperature control in unfavorable environments.
- Bachelor of Science
RADIOhead Author
wrote...
12 years ago
i did several research on this question before coming here and what you posted was pretty much on every website (the basics). i know automatically you can cancel out d and c. so that left me with a and b. i was uncertain to whether it was a or b but its obvious you guys know A LOT more about biology than i do. so i'm going to trust you guys and agree that its a. when i find out the exact answer i'll let you know =)
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
i did several research on this question before coming here and what you posted was pretty much on every website (the basics). i know automatically you can cancel out d and c. so that left me with a and b. i was uncertain to whether it was a or b but its obvious you guys know A LOT more about biology than i do. so i'm going to trust you guys and agree that its a. when i find out the exact answer i'll let you know =)

lol I'd like to know the answer, and hopefully I'm right with A.
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1338 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4