b
j
u
j
rjt6250 rjt6250
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Is it possible for an individual who is A- to result from a B+ or B- mother and an O+ father.
Read 1637 times
10 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Unless there is mutation, not possible.
wrote...
11 years ago
No, there are 2 alleles that controll blood type:

B type blood is: "I^Bi" or "I^BI^B"
O type blood is: "ii"
A typle blood is: "I^Ai" or "I^AI^A"

The offspring must have an allele for the blood type from each parent, it can not inherite any combinations of alleles that would allow the child to have A type blood.
RJW
wrote...
11 years ago
my answer is a BIG NO.. well i think so.. because, usually the child always get the blood type from the father, or sometimes from the mother, so where did the letter A came from..
wrote...
11 years ago
NO.

A mother with type B has the alleles IB-IA or IB-i
The father is i-i
(IA-IB = AB, IA-i= A, IA-IA= A, IB-IB= B, IB-i= B, i-i= O)

The father gave an i allele (recessive)
Mom gave an i (child i-i type O) or IB (child IB-i, type B)

Can't determine rhesus factor (+/-) from info given.
wrote...
11 years ago
no
wrote...
11 years ago
no
wrote...
11 years ago
No, A and B signify 2 different surface marker proteins on the red blood cells. O is a lack of any proteins. So if the parents are B and O then there is no A to give. + and - is another protein called RH factor. Only if the one of the parents have it will the child have it. + means you have the protein, - means you have no protein. So O- means absolutely no surface marker proteins.
wrote...
11 years ago
Absolutely not as in this case neither the mother or father have an "A" to contribute to the offspring.
wrote...
11 years ago
not possible, since the father is type O, the mother has to be type A or AB to produce an offspring that is type A
wrote...
11 years ago
Only if the father is homozygous for the rare "Bombay phenotype" blood group and it's masking his i^A allele.  This is possible but extremely unlikely.  It's far more likely that "father" isn't the biological father, or that the lab screwed up the blood test for one of these people.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1065 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 436