× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
alicegerald alicegerald
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Emergent properties is a term used to describe the properties of something that could not have been made possible without the things that make up that thing.

I know its not the best but It's not part of my homework, its just so that I understand the meaning.
Read 11317 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
Not quite what I had in mind, but I think part of it is right Slight Smile The term 'emergent properties' describes specific qualities that emerge at a certain level of systemic complexity and are not apparent at lower levels.
Sunshine ☀ ☼
wrote...
11 years ago
As simple as possible....

Emergent property is like this:

Cell Rightwards Arrow Tissue Rightwards Arrow Organ Rightwards Arrow Organ System Rightwards Arrow Animal

It's the property where living things become more and more complex as it goes from cellular level (exp humans are made of cells) to organ system (exp humans are made of organ system composed of millions of cells).

It's based on the concept that "the whole is greater than the composition of its parts." Exp: heart is made of cells only, but if you just have heart cells (sum of its parts) it won't do anything but if the whole heart is there, it will perform the function of pumping blood (the whole is greater).
alicegerald Author
wrote...
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, alicegerald
Not quite what I had in mind, but I think part of it is right Slight Smile The term 'emergent properties' describes specific qualities that emerge at a certain level of systemic complexity and are not apparent at lower levels.
so what part of it isn't right?
Post Merge: 11 years ago

As simple as possible....

Emergent property is like this:

Cell Rightwards Arrow Tissue Rightwards Arrow Organ Rightwards Arrow Organ System Rightwards Arrow Animal

It's the property where living things become more and more complex as it goes from cellular level (exp humans are made of cells) to organ system (exp humans are made of organ system composed of millions of cells).

It's based on the concept that "the whole is greater than the composition of its parts." Exp: heart is made of cells only, but if you just have heart cells (sum of its parts) it won't do anything but if the whole heart is there, it will perform the function of pumping blood (the whole is greater).
isn't that what i wrote?? :/
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
possible without the things that make up that thing.

Something appears whole once all parts have been gathered together, otherwise you won't be able to tell what the end product is if these things were individually shown.
Sunshine ☀ ☼
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1248 People Browsing
Related Images