a
t
i
r
r
riptor riptor
wrote...
8 years ago
Between the 1790s and 1850s, the South grew enormously and changed its position on slavery.  Explain what happened in the South after 1790 and how this contributed to its position on slavery in the 1850s.
Textbook 
Out of Many: A History of the American People

Out of Many: A History of the American People

Edition: 5th
Authors:
Read 247 times
1 Reply
- 1st year history major
-- "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
4 months ago
Between the 1790s and 1850s, the South experienced significant growth and transformation, particularly in the agricultural sector. The invention of the cotton gin in 1793 revolutionized cotton production, making it a highly profitable crop for Southern planters. As a result, the demand for enslaved labor increased dramatically, and the number of enslaved people in the South grew from around 700,000 in 1790 to over 4 million by 1860. The South’s economy became increasingly dependent on slavery, and many Southerners came to view it as a necessary institution for their prosperity.

The South’s reliance on slavery was further reinforced by the development of a distinct Southern culture that emphasized the importance of white supremacy and the subjugation of Black people. This culture was shaped by a variety of factors, including the region’s history of slavery, the influence of evangelical Christianity, and the rise of scientific racism. By the 1850s, many Southerners had come to view slavery as a positive good, arguing that it was a civilizing force that brought Christianity and civilization to the “uncivilized” African continent.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1234 People Browsing
 123 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?