d
l
a
Lexie Lexie
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Hi,
I was just wondering if it was necessary to know your blood type if u wanna donate. I don't know my blood type but Im planning on donating to my schools blood drive soon. But I don't know what my type is, is that bad?
Also, I asked my mom her type and she said, she believe shes -O, and my dads +O. I also asked my pop pop and he said he was aso O. Still, my mom was unsure and so am I.
Read 533 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
when you donate blood at school you really don't have to know your blood type......thats what doctors and scientists are for theyll check and analyze your blood to see if its good and what type it is........though if your curious you can always find out your blood type by getting tested
wrote...
11 years ago
My school had a blood drive too.
Though i didnt participate other people say that they tell you your blood type. I dont think it matters what your blood type is. But who knows they might do the blood donation differently.
wrote...
11 years ago
Knowing your blood type isn't important for donating, but knowing your blood type in general is important in case you need blood donated to you (in case of an emergency)
wrote...
11 years ago
test your blood. it is easy. so, donate.
wrote...
11 years ago
Not at all!  In fact, donating blood will help you learn your blood type.  When you donate blood (a little over a pint) a small portion of your blood is sent for analysis.  The tests determine your blood type, as well as whether you have any diseases.  In addition to STDs, your blood will be checked for other viruses/antibodies that are completely harmless to you, but could be devastating to a premature baby (often the recipient).

Most places where you donate blood will keep a record of you, so that the next time you donate some of your information is filled in for you ahead of time, including your address and blood type (don't worry - it gets tested for the same things every time)!

If not, you should be able to call and ask if they were able to determine your blood type.  Be careful though, if you call and ask generically about your test results, they might assume you were using the blood donation process to screen yourself for any STDs, and they would ask you not to donate anymore.
wrote...
11 years ago
No. It's fine to donate blood without knowing your blood type. Your blood will be tested anyway during the donation procedure to confirm what blood type it is.

Incidentally, O-type blood is very good for donation, as the other main groups (A, B, and AB) can all receive it. People with AB blood can receive blood from anyone, but only donate to other AB-type people.
wrote...
11 years ago
NO,of course not.
WILL be tested anyway.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1095 People Browsing
 124 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370