11 years ago
Please explain in detail.
Read 848 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Note: this is the extreme Cole's notes version.

Sympathetic: fight or flight helps you with your escape if you saw a bear... heart rate goes up, breathing rate and depth increases, pupils dilate and the body prepares to flee (shuts down all extraneous systems like digestion). Think of how your body reacts when something scares you.

Sympathetic Neurotransmitters, both pre and post ganglionic use acetylcholine. There is one preganglionic fibre for about every 20 post meaning that effects are generally systemic and widespread.

Parasympathetic: Rest and Digest. Think of this as being after a large meal and you get sleepy and all you want to do is sit infront of the television. The parasympathetic systems effects include increasing digestion, rest and repair.

Parasympathetic Neurotransmitters: Pre ganglionic is acetylcholine as well, but post ganglionic can be either nicotininc or muscarinic (but I'm not 100% on the post-ganglionic). The ratio of pre ganglionic to post ganglionic is 1:4 (not 1:20 like the parasympathetic) so effects are much more specific.
wrote...
11 years ago
Both are part of the autonomic nervous system. They function opposite each other but really act as balance. parasympathetic controls the conservation of the bodies energy. Such as slowing the heart rate, lowering temp and increasing enzyme production for digestion. The sympathetic part of the system operates quick response. Fight or flight action. Increased heart rate, release of adrenaline and spontaneous reflex. Remember this analogy. Fight or flight =sympathetic quick response. Rest and digest =slow parasympathetic. The transmitters are catecholimines and inhibitors. A little harder to explain. If you understand my explanation I will answer the chemical part later. Im a nurse with biology background.  Deb
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1067 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 336