× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
firework6 firework6
wrote...
11 years ago
I plan to major in biology and minor in religious studies. Will that hurt my chances of getting accepted in Medical school. I know that a lot of people minor in chemistry, but chem doesn't interest me as much. What do YOU think will be best?
David... did he say why history would help the most?
Read 1882 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
probably not, surprisingly med schools look for well rounded people.  A minor in religion may actually help, because they are looking for compassionate people.  My former roommate, who is now a surgeon told me that if you have a minor in history it helps your admission the most.
wrote...
11 years ago
No, love, this won't hurt you in the least.  It's a common misconception amongst pre-med students (myself included when I was one) that somehow your major or minor has some bearing on how well you'll do in med school, how good of a physician you'll be or how admissions boards look at you.  It's simply not the case.  You should pick a major and minor that you enjoy (med schools really don't care) simply because you'll have to take the fundamental science/maths cores no matter what.  I was a Bio major and a friend of mine was an English major and was a thousand times better than me in med school and is a great physician now.

So no, your major and minor are irrelevant to how admissions boards look at your application, so long as you receive high marks in both your science cores and your other courses as well.  Admissions boards look at a lot of factors, but your science, non-science GPA and MCAT score are critical factors for admission.

I wish you well.
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
Definitely not...
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1078 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 423

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?