c
p
M
a
citron2k1 citron2k1
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Why can't a t-test be used to make a quantitative comparison between populations of different years? I understand that a t-test compares the means within the sampled population, but what difference would it make if it were samples from different years vs sample from the same year or study?

Read 1544 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Says who? The t-test assesses whether the means of two groups are statistically different from each other. Those two groups can be different years, year 1 versus year 2.
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
citron2k1 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
I would agree, but it is a question that my ecology professor wanted us to answer. According to him it cannot be done.
wrote...
11 years ago
Then I am not totally sure. I found this response on another website. Let me know what you get from it. I would like to know the exact answer as well.

The student's t-test gives a confidence interval for a parameter such as the mean for a "small" sample from a population with an approximately normal distribution.

If you have samples from different years, you are looking at different populations. Here you would have to compare variances in the populations requiring ANOVA or other statistical measures.
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  834 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion