s
b
c
R
c
leo123 leo123
wrote...
11 years ago
to calculate gravity on earth you use the formula Fz = M×10 ( mass × 10 ) so whitch formula you use to calculate the gravity on the moon ?
Read 324 times
6 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
You use the same formula that you would on Earth. Except for the moon you use the mass of the moon and the radius of the moon at it's surface.
wrote...
11 years ago
I actaully dont know who are you like some kind of scientist? i think thats cr azy  i dont think i would ever be able to figure that out.
toni_malvina Author
wrote...
11 years ago
F = G *M1*M2/R^2

Substitute the mass of the moon for the mass of the Earth (the other mass is your reference mass and does not change); change the radius of the Moon for the radius of the Earth.

I an save you a lot of calculations though. Gravity on the surface of the Moon is about 1/6 of one G.
Answer accepted by topic starter
leobiologoleobiologo
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 300 words.

Related Topics

wrote...
11 years ago
You know Newton's famous formula:
F=ma

In order to calculate weight of a mass (which is a force) on earth you substitute 9.86m/s^2 in the formula: F=9.86*m

9.86 m/s^2 is accelaration of free falling mass on earth. Now you need the accelaration of free falling mass on moon:

a=G*Mm/R^2

G: Gravitational Constant (6.6742*10^(-11))
Mm: Mass of Moon
R: Distance from center of moon (for short falls it is reasonable to consider it as the radius of moon)

After substitution, it can be calculated:
a=1.57m/s^2

Finally for calculating weight of a body on eart you can use the following formula:

F=1.57*m
(m is the mass of body)
wrote...
11 years ago
You said "Fz = M×10". You may be still studying in school, because I've seen that kids say the same formula above.

But the correct formula is:
Gravitational force acting on a body of mass m is
  F = m×g
where g = 9.80665 (this value is written as '10' in your text book).

Now this value of g = 9.8 or 10 is applicable for earth.
In the case of moon, you need to have a new value for g.

The value for g of moon is 1.63. This value is approximately 1/6th of value of g of earth.

So the formula to calculate gravitational force on moon would be
  F=m×1.63
or, to be compliant with your text book, it can be written as:
       M×10
F = ---------

If you're curious to know more about the value of g for moon, check out pages I list as sources.
_______
Viva La Dvorak! - www.dvzine.org
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  976 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 422