I
k
j
o
tporter88 tporter88
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Hi guys heres the question I need someone to shed some light on please.

Explain why babies and older people are more vulnerable to infections, such as food poisoning that cause diarrhoea and vomiting.

Upwards Arrow^^^^^^^^
I have an idea- I know its something to do with their immune system but im not sure.

someone please help

In addition to this could someone tell me the the importance of maintaining acid-base (electrolyte) levels.
Read 425 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
u are right. new born baby are very soft and it's immune system is even more delicate. same with the old. the vaccinaation and other medicines which they would have taken when young would have become weaker. the number of cd4+ cells that triiger the white blood cell to fight infections is less. if acid base level is not maintained then there is a chance for developing constipation ulcer e.t.c.
wrote...
11 years ago
In infants the immune system has not matured yet. That is why it is important for breastfeeding, due to infants getting antibodies from their mother. In the elderly the immune system is compromised due to age. The human body with time will not respond to an antigen and produce antibodies. That is why the protection from childhood vaccines goes away. As for the acid-base levels. Your body functions at a pH of 7.35-7.45. If the internal buffering system(blood) does not maintain the correct pH the proteins that make enzymes are degraded in basic and acidic environments. The result can be acidosis or alkalosis, both can be life threatening.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  855 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 422