i
d
d
J
nursing08 nursing08
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I really can't get this one! It's not homework either you complainers it's a study guide... so buzz off you hosers!

A)  Binary fission

B) The fusion of plus and minus mating strains

C) taking over the genetic material of a host cell

D) producing toxins

Thanks so much, I am really terrible with this subject!
Read 277 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Viruses aren't alive because they can't replicate themselves. They depend upon the host to do that. C
wrote...
11 years ago
Viral replication is the term used by virologists to describe the formation of biological viruses during the infection process in the target host cells. Viral populations do not grow through cell division, because they are acellular. Instead, they use the machinery and metabolism of a host cell to produce multiple copies of themselves, and they assemble in the cell.Viruses must first get into the cell before viral replication can occur.Viruses are intracellular obligate parasites which means that they cannot replicate or express their genes without the help of a living cell. A single virus particle (virion) is in and of itself essentially inert. It lacks needed components that cells have to reproduce. When a virus infects a cell, it marshals the cell's ribosomes, enzymes and much of the cellular machinery to replicate. Unlike what is  seen in cellular replication processes such as mitosis and meiosis, viral replication produces many progeny, that when complete, leave the host cell to infect other cells in the organism.
None of your options are specific enough. Though C comes close but viruses hijack the cellular machinery required for formation of genetic material of the host so that the cellular machinery now produces viruses' genetic material rather than the host's.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  918 People Browsing
 109 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 422