a
t
i
r
Julia Jeffrey Julia Jeffrey
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
i want to buy some land to start growing food crops. Just a few acres, maybe a small farm or a large garden, don't know what you would call it. I've found 10 acres of land for a good price, but the land is very densely wooded; i would have to clear it. I am wondering if the very thick natural vegetation growing on it is a good indicator of the soil quality or if it is totally unrelated
Read 365 times
4 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
It depends, forests have specific plants and tough trees, maybe not watermelons or avacados but pumpkins and  tomatoes or even cherryes depending on the state or season  I live in Utah and we grow apples, and squash potatoes and so on
wrote...
11 years ago
Forested land is very fertile, and the thick undergrowth is a good indication of this. The soil is typically rich in organic matter and nutrients and have good soil structure, with lots of useful soil microorganisms.

Nonetheless, once you clear the forest, soil fertility decreases rapidly. Soil erosion would speed up this process. So, it is vital you plan for soil conservation measures to protect your biggest farm asset -- your top soil.
wrote...
11 years ago
Do you have the resources for clearing 10 acres of land? That's a big project. If you're just starting out, you may want to look for some previously established farmland. Watch out for soil quality, erosion ditches and topography. Also make sure the land is well drained (ideally tiled).

That said, where I'm from (Southern Ontario), all the fields used to be forests. The area was cleared hundreds of years ago and is fantastic farmland.
Answer accepted by topic starter
davedave
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 380 words.