a
t
i
r
ilove222 ilove222
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
We have Watermelon growing in our yard and ants are getting in them and killing them and I would like to know which Pesticide is the best to use and is safe for the environment and for people (because we will be eating the Watermelons)
Read 323 times
4 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Have you tried tobacco, soap, or pepper solutions?

You can also try placing Diatomaceous Earth around the fruits.

Neem oil may keep the bugs off as well.

You can put out a mixture of:

3.5oz Strawberry Jam
1.5tbl Wet Canned Cat Food
1tbl Boric acid

This will be brought back to the queen and kill her.

You could also use a trap.

Ants also don't like to be around peppermint, so maybe plant some mint around.

There's a lot of non-toxic possibilities Slight Smile
wrote...
11 years ago
There is a rumor I've been hearing but haven't tried myself. Apparently, if you our diet coke on an ant hill, the aspartame will kill the entire colony in about 24 hours. It would be worthwhile for you to try it since diet coke is cheap and will not have any dangerous effects on your watermelons. Simply find the colony, and hay ho with the coke.
wrote...
11 years ago
From my own experience:

Use white vinegar. Put it in a spray bottle and spray the ants as well as any ant trails you can see. Try to locate the ant nests and pour vinegar into the nests. Vinegar kills the ants as well as disrupts the ant trails. You may have to do this several times over a few weeks, and you will see the ant population reducing significantly over time.

Alternatively, you can use boiling hot water but not to be used on your plants but on the ant nests.
Answer accepted by topic starter
NurseMDNurseMD
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 240 words.