t
i
r
r
topoelpibe21 topoelpibe21
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I had a CT scan done of my Cervical spine (neck) 8 months ago. The report concluded that there was no "significant" abnormality.
In the last 6 months, I have been experiencing severe, chronic neck pain associated with terrible headaches and even trouble breathing at times. Most of the time, the pain is dull, heavy, aching and throbbing. But other times, it can be sharp, shooting, and stinging. The pain occasionally radiates into both of my shoulders, collarbones, biceps, and forearms- and even down into the upper thoracic spine area. My arms feel fatigued and totally exhausted with even minimal exertion and the tips of a couple of my fingers sting, and then they go numb. I can only write for about 5 minutes, then my right hand starts to seize up, I lose muscle control, and it goes spastic. Then it feels like the hand is locking up...then it goes weak...and I have allmost no power to clench my fist.

Also, I get muscle spasms in the neck, but also in the soft tissues surrounding the collarbones, shoulders, biceps, and forearms.
I have trouble swallowing sometimes. I have over-active or over-responsive reflexes, like my head suddenly jerking to the side for a second while watching TV, or I'll be using the computer mouse, and my arm will just bang into the wall.  It does not matter what I do, I just cannot get in a comfortable position with my pillow. My neck never feels relaxed. Valium/Ativan? They do not work. The only thing that takes the pain away is OxyContin- but I hate that drug, and I am searching for a medication that is effective and not addictive. My hands are completely bombarded with tremors, my eyelids will not stop twitching, and now and again I feel strange sensations that come and go- all over the face, around the head, the jaw, and the arms- like someone is lightly caressing my skin with cotton candy.

Is it possible for degenerative changes to occur in the neck in as little as 8 months? Do these symptoms indicate that there has been a rapid onset of deterioration? Is it possible that there could be old AND new findings that were not detected on the CT that an MRI scan would detect? I think I need an MRI for further investigation. Your thoughts?

Some information you might want to know:
PREVIOUS MRI REPORTS: Thoracic, Lumbar, and Brain.

Upper back: Moderate kyphosis, disc degeneration at T3&T4 with T4 2mm disc protrusion, multiple level bilateral facet joint arthritis, osteophytosis and sclerosis.

Lower: Congenital central lumbar canal stenosis at L1/2 to L4/5, L5/S1 disc degeneration and narrowing present/desiccation expected to follow.

Brain: Normal Examination.
Read 387 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
First of all things can change in 8 months. The protruding disc is the one I suspect is causing a lot of problems.

I don't know what you've tried already treatment wise and I'm not a doctor. Having gotten that out of the way I recommend you get all this re checked if it seems to have gotten worse in any way (pain, fatigue, range of motion etc), try alternatives like acupuncture,breathing exercises, Tylenol extra strength or something (pain relievers work in different ways so try different classes etc). I knew someone who wore a brace to correct her spine but she was still growing so I'm dubious about whether that would help you or keep your spine from worsening.

You should try asking a pharmacist about differences in pain medicines because opiates work well short term but a tolerance builds it's not good and will make breathing harder as you up the dosage to get the same effect.
wrote...
11 years ago
Understanding the cause of pain is the key to proper treatment. In reviewing the history of symptoms, the neurologist must note the location, intensity, duration, and radiation of the pain. Any past injury to the neck and past treatments should be noted. Aggravating and relieving positions or motions must also be recorded, both at rest and in motion. Tenderness is detected during palpation of the neck. An examination of the nervous system is performed to determine whether or not nerve involvement is present.
wrote...
11 years ago
you need to meet with physiotherapist.
wrote...
11 years ago
I would ask for another MRI. You didn't mention an MRI of your neck so I'd ask for one if you haven't had one there. My MRI didn't show a ruptured disc but it was found by my surgeon 2.5 years later after I was told by a neurologist to not have surgery because he said there was "nothing wrong with my neck" even though the MRI said otherwise.

I've had good luck with Nucynta (pain reliever)    
Nucynta is very expensive but if your insurance will cover it then that is good. It can cause dry mouth so I drink lots of water.
I don't care for Percocet (oxycodone) as it makes me sleepy and when I wake up I only have another hour or two before I'm due for the next dose.

Soma (muscle relaxer) has worked the best for me after I've tried flexeril, robaxin, zaniflex, and skelaxin. My arm jumps too so I can relate. If I sit to long my pain gets worse but standing makes me feel better.

I had all the same symptoms of spasms in the shoulder and pain in the neck, arm, and numbness in the fingers from a ruptured disc in my neck. I had epidural injections that relieved my arm pain. My arm jumps as well but when the pain is controlled it doesn't jump as much. I never fully recovered after the disc was removed but now have a spinal cord stimulator for pain control.

I'd invest in a good pillow that supports your head and neck and make sure you have a good supporting mattress. It can make a big difference. You might want to see an orthopedic doctor if you haven't.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1105 People Browsing
 101 Signed Up Today
Related Images