O
h
d
s
leftyfish21 leftyfish21
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
This is a homework question I have for an astronomy class.  I already answered it to the best of my ability, but I do not think I really understand it.  I know that a photon can only be absorbed if it is directly proportional to a state/level change in the atom, but I am not really sure how this would affect an electron.

Any thoughts on how the electron would be affected, or other thoughts on this question?

Thanks and God bless!
Read 515 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Hi. Electrons in the inner orbit of this atom x will want to get freed from the atom itself, but it is not possible due to the strong nuclear attractive force. So, when energy is provided to electrons in the form of photons that bombard the atom, the electrons absorb the energy and kind of use it to over come to pull of the nucleus. And how far the electron gets freed depends on the energy provided to it, which ultimately depends on the frequency of the incident photon  according to niel bohr's famous frequency condition, E=h *frequency. All the best!
wrote...
11 years ago
you seem to already know the answer ... a photon with energy equal to difference in two energy levels of the electron get absorbed ... and the electron jumps to the higher energy state.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1070 People Browsing
 112 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 336