p
M
a
nurnur nurnur
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I need help with this question.
In my paper it says that you can use the genetic code chart to give an example of how this might occur.
Can someone please answer this?
I would really appreciate it.
Thank You =)
Read 655 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
If the mutation occurs in the DNA, then when transcription occurs complementary base pairing in the DNA-RNA heteroduplex results in a different ribonucleotide at the corresponding position in the pre-mRNA and eventually the mRNA that is exported to the cytoplasm to initiate translation on a ribosome. But because complementary base pairing also informs the match between each mRNA codon triplet and the anticodon triplet on a tRNA molecule, and because each aminoacyl tRNA synthetase co-recognizes a specific tRNA and amino acid, a different mRNA codon guarantees that a different tRNA will bind it and this may add a different amino acid to the 3' end of a nascent polypeptide chain.  It is just such a mutation that gives rise to the HbS hemoglobin that is characteristic of sickle cell anemia.  I hope this has been helpful... best wishes.
wrote...
11 years ago
when the mutatuion occur,the codon will change.the original anticodon cant fix anymore with the codon.different anti codon  will complement with the mutated codon.different anti codon will code for difeerent amino acid.so,there will a change in amino acid sequence in thee protein structure and can lead to the malfunctioning protein..

for example,sickle cell anaemia
wrote...
11 years ago
Each codon is composed of three bases.  ATG for instance codes for Methionine (abbreviated Met).  If a point mutation occured in the third base of this codon to generate ATA (a G to A transition), then the mutated codon would encode Isoleucine (abbreviated Ile).  There are many examples of this.  Look in your chart and figure it out!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1022 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 261