r
d
l
a
asinger96 asinger96
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I recently finished Lonesome Dove for my english class and our essay question is discuss the theme and the importance of the theme rugged individualism in the novel.

Rugged Individualism is the belief that all men can succeed on their own and that government help for people should be minimal.

So by definition, i know that this belief is present in the novel and characters i just dont see where.
So do you have any definate exampls?
Is there a deeper meaning to rugged individualism in this book?
Why is this theme important?
Read 436 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
I think the characters' self reliance is a major theme of the book.  They kind of operate outside of the boundaries that we think of as society.  The setting is in the untamed west where there is no one around to enforce laws so there really are none.  They do not have the help of the government or the law even though they are former rangers.  Its kind of a state of nature type situation.  Anyway those are just some thoughts i rattled off.  Its a good book I hope this helped a little or at least got you started brainstorming.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1097 People Browsing
 135 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 328