i
r
r
grasouli grasouli
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Hello --

I was hoping I could get clarification on a few topics that I've been reading about under the umbrella of Recombinant DNA Technology

1. When two or more sequences join from sources that would otherwise not be capable of naturally coming together, are the produced proteins *entirely* new? That is -- are they new in nature, or are they new to the hypothetical host that they've been inserted?

1a. If they are entirely new, are they what is referred to as "synthesized proteins" ?

2. What is meant by "Chimera DNA" ?

3. Are we capable of creating formerly and naturally non-existent proteins and inserting them into DNA? Are "engineered" and/or "synthetic" DNA capable of seamless replication with normal DNA?

Thank you in advance.

Read 191 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
6 years ago
The proteins are not new at all, actually. The goal or recombinant DNA is to slice and combine genes into regions that contain a known promoter, so that it can be easily transcribed and traced.

A genetic chimerism or chimera is a single organism composed of cells from different zygotes. Therefore, a chimera's DNA is the same as anyone else's -- they just have two different kinds of DNA. Some cells have one kind, the rest have a different kind.

What would you consider a non-existent proteins? You mean one that has been created artificially with different nucleotides? -- I'm a little confused by this.
wrote...
Staff Member
6 years ago
Dear OP

If you have no further questions, please mark this topic solved.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  883 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293