y
t
h
l
Shammack94 Shammack94
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
What role did the Portuguese, the British, the Afrankers, and the Omani have in East and Southern Africa?
Read 93 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
6 years ago
This is a tough question for a biology guy, but I'll definitely try my best Grinning Face with Smiling Eyes

I found the following:

Oman also had its own colony, Zanzibar, on the east coast of Africa, from which it derived wealth in the slave trade.

For Portugal I found:

The roots of Europe's slave colonies in America can be found in Portugal's fifteenth-century exploration of the western coast of Africa. Upon conquering the Muslim fortress of Ceuta in North Africa in 1415, Portuguese rulers turned their attention to the trade goods being delivered across the Sahara desert. By skirting the coast, royally sponsored explorers hoped to trace the supplies of gold and other precious goods to their source, thus bypassing the costs of the middlemen traders.

By the mid-1450s, the Portuguese had begun to purchase slaves along the West African coast, establishing contracts with Wolof, Mandinga, and Bati rulers to exchange gold, cotton, ivory, and slaves for horses, red cloth, and iron. In the 1480s, the Portuguese established the entrepôts of São Tomé and Elmina to serve the regular trade routes from Congo and Benin. At the same time, following the medieval model of sugar production in North Africa and several Mediterranean islands, the Portuguese established plantations on the Atlantic islands of Madeira, the Cape Verde islands, and the Canaries, and they increasingly worked them with slaves imported from Africa.

Source:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/social-sciences-and-law/political-science-and-government/military-affairs-nonnaval/slave-trade
https://www.britannica.com/place/Southern-Africa/European-and-African-interaction-in-the-19th-century

Will look into your other questions within the next few hours.. Good luck with this
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  868 People Browsing
 140 Signed Up Today
Related Images