s
b
j
u
gintoop gintoop
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I wrote the following description of air transport (breathing) mechanics during respiration:

" The diaphragm is flattened by contraction and the rib cage is expanded by intercostal muscle contraction during inhalation.  Consequently, the chest volume expands creating negative pressure.  Alveolar sacs in the lungs are adhered to the visceral pleura, the visceral and parietal pleura are connected (layers of the same structure), and the parietal pleura is adhered to the chest wall.  Therefore, the alveolar sacs (the lungs essentially) are expanded with the chest, and negative pressure is created in the lungs for inhalation. 

When the diaphragm and intercostal muscles relax, the diaphragm bulges up against the pleural cavity, and the ribcage lowers and reduces in breadth.  These reverse the negative pressure to a positive pressure with respect to the air outside the body, and exhalation occurs.  "

Is the term "adhered" appropriate where I have used it in two separate instances?  Would "connected" be better (but would then have connected three times in short succession)?  Any other comments or corrections/improvements?
Read 459 times
1 Reply