j
l
d
y
mushroomX_X mushroomX_X
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
What significance can we attach to the fact that the verbal ability scores of adopted children are more similar to their biological  parents’ scores than to their adoptive parents’ scores? (2 marks)
a. It shows the importance of early experience in shaping a child’s behaviour.
b. It demonstrates that environments are really not that important in the development of a person’s verbal abilities.
c. It constitutes a scientific conclusion, namely that the correlation between verbal ability scores of biological parents and the children that have been reared by others is about 0.35.
d. It is contrary to the following prediction: persons experiencing different environments should exhibit different behaviours.

The statement “An adaptation is a trait whose fitness benefits (B) exceed its costs (C)” is false because an adaptation: (2 marks)
a. Can have higher costs than benefits if the trait helps the species survive.
b. Not only has to have B > C but it also has to improve an individual.
c. Not only has to have B > C but the difference between B and C has to be greater than any other alternative.
d. Not only has to have B > C but it also has to be more common than any other alternative in the population.

I have answered these question wrong, 1b, 2a. My teacher didn't tell me the correct answer, can somebody tell me the correct answer?

thanks a lot
Read 2352 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
What significance can we attach to the fact that the verbal ability scores of adopted children are more similar to their biological  parents’ scores than to their adoptive parents’ scores? (2 marks)
a. It shows the importance of early experience in shaping a child’s behaviour.
b. It demonstrates that environments are really not that important in the development of a person’s verbal abilities.
c. It constitutes a scientific conclusion, namely that the correlation between verbal ability scores of biological parents and the children that have been reared by others is about 0.35.
d. It is contrary to the following prediction: persons experiencing different environments should exhibit different behaviours.

Either B or D - I would say D.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
The statement “An adaptation is a trait whose fitness benefits (B) exceed its costs (C)” is false because an adaptation: (2 marks)
a. Can have higher costs than benefits if the trait helps the species survive.
b. Not only has to have B > C but it also has to improve an individual.
c. Not only has to have B > C but the difference between B and C has to be greater than any other alternative.
d. Not only has to have B > C but it also has to be more common than any other alternative in the population.

Recall that an adaptation is a trait whose fitness benefits must exceed its fitness costs by a greater degree than any alternative form of that trait. Adaptations are measured in terms of their contribution to individual genetic success.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
mushroomX_X Author
wrote...
12 years ago
1B is definitely wrong as my teacher told me.

what about 2?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1745 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 488

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?