K
g
L
w
lilbit12292 lilbit12292
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I thought maybe since proteins and fats take longer to digest than carbohydrates, more HCl will be produced by the stomach to digest them?
Please tell me if i'm right or wrong and explain why!
Thanks! Smiling Face with Open Mouth
Read 326 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
hcl isnt secreted to break down/digest the food, its released to liquify it into chyme.... so i dont think the type of food makes a difference...
wrote...
10 years ago
HCl is also secreted in response to gastric distention (=when food gets into the stomach and dilates it). It does have a major role in digestion, as it lowers the gastric pH so that the enzymes have the suited environment to get activated. When tactile receptors sense the presence of food in the stomach, several hormones are released into the circulation, influencing the HCl secretion. For example, the G cells release gastrin when amino acids and peptides (products of protein digestion) are present on the luminal surface, which stimulates the acid secretion, whereas fat solutions that reach the duodenum an jejunum inhibit it.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1104 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 146