j
l
d
y
sigsays sigsays
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
The value of X-ray and gamma-ray astronomy is based on the fact that some of the most energetic sources in the cosmos radiate at these wavelengths. Magnetic storms in stellar atmospheres (including storms on the Sun), exploding stars and their nebular remnants, the regions surrounding neutron stars and black holes, and the innermost regions associated with active galactic nuclei characterize the highest energy, shortest wavelength regime. What would you need to obtain a successful X-ray image of a high-energy source?

Select all that apply.

1    A telescope designed and built to be launched into space.
2    A cosmic source of high temperature.
3    A detector optimized for recording gamma rays.
4    Careful observations from the ground.
5    A single large mirror to collect and focus the X-ray emission.
Read 10039 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
11 years ago
A cosmic source of high temperature.
Only very hot objects will emit light at X-ray wavelengths.
A telescope designed and built to be launched into space.

X-rays do not transmit through Earth’s atmosphere. Cosmic X-ray sensors must be placed outside of Earth’s atmosphere.
wrote...
11 years ago
A detector optimized for recording gamma rays. Since this highest energy form of light is not in the visible spectrum, and it is way beyond the X-ray spectrum as well, no telescope could obtain an image of gamma radiation. I'm not sure about this but I think a radio telescope probing in the infrared would show X-ray and gamma radiation, but I'm going with my first answer.
Would you know my name, if I saw you in heaven?

Eric Clapton
sigsays Author
wrote...
11 years ago
A detector optimized for recording gamma rays. Since this highest energy form of light is not in the visible spectrum, and it is way beyond the X-ray spectrum as well, no telescope could obtain an image of gamma radiation. I'm not sure about this but I think a radio telescope probing in the infrared would show X-ray and gamma radiation, but I'm going with my first answer.

It was reply #1.

Thanks for the direction everyone.
wrote...
Donated
11 years ago
YW
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1622 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 262