b
d
h
Skhan13 Skhan13
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Hey guys,
So I've been studying for a Bio exam which is right after this weekend.
I can't seem to wrap my head around some questions regarding Mitosis and Meiosis.
Firstly,

1)During the s1 phase where DNA replicates in Mitosis, the single chromosome replicates and becomes Sister Chromatids. Could sister chromatids be called 2 joined chromosomes? Or is it we don't consider them 2 separate chromosomes together because they are the same replicate copy? if we can consider them two separate chromosomes joined together by the centromere, doesnt that mean that they are 92 chromosomes which then go back to 46 chromosomes in each cell when they finish mitosis?

2) In meiosis do the gametes naturally come in 23 pairs before undergoing meiosis? I ask this because I saw in a few videos that they are already in pairs during s1 of interphase, and then the pairs replicate to become homologous pairs which dont happen in meiosis.

Thanks alot guys!
Read 745 times
2 Replies