S
m
s
suzikimata suzikimata
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Question 1

A large commercial electroplating factory has applied for permission to release their effluent into the local creek which contains trout. The factory effluent contains measurable amounts of zinc and silver.

A) Using a labelled graphical diagram ONLY describe the effect of zinc and silver on the growth/health of living organisms.

B) Your chemical analysis of the effluent shows that the concentration of zinc in the effluent is 0.1 mg/L and the concentration of silver is 0.01 mg/L. You expose trout for 30 days in the laboratory to the water from the Bay and find that a trout weighing 5 kg bio-accumulated a total body burden of 0.1 g of each trace metal. Calculate the bio-concentration factors for zinc and silver from the effluent for the trout.

C) Predict if zinc and silver can be additive, synergistic or antagonistic. Describe how you would do this using the Daphnia toxicity test and standard solutions of zinc and silver in the laboratory.
Read 555 times
2 Replies