t
i
r
r
Student4Life Student4Life
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I'm just wondering in which ways the brain of a newborn baby differ from the brains of say a 3 or 4 year old. Also, I'm curious about what differences there are between the brains of 3 or 4 year old children, and those of adults maybe 30 years oldish.

I'm not curious so much in an "experience" kind of way, like what they are able to do, how fast they learn, or anything like that, but rather the physical construction of the brain. The size, the complexity, which parts are more active than others perhaps, which parts are more complex, or developed, stuff like that. 
Read 538 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
As the child grows, neural connections are made and lost. These subtle differences won't show in the overall structure of the brain, but these new connections would vary from year-to-year if you were to look at the tissue microscopically. Check out the following two diagrams to give you a better idea of what I'm saying. For the second image, it illustrates how the brain continues to develop well beyond childhood. These images of the human brain show the loss of brain cells between the ages of 5 and 20 (warmer colors indicate more cells, cooler colors indicate less).
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Student4Life Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thanks, but I'm wondering specifically about in which ways the brain is different between a newborn and a 3 year old, and between a 3 year old and an adult.

It is certain that connections will be made or lost between all ages. We know memories are made and stuff like that. So, I'm interested in making the comparison between a newborn and a 3 year old, and also a 3 year old and a full grown adult.

Perhaps which connections are made between these ages will be in different parts of the brain, and perhaps there is another difference between newborns and 3 year olds, that does not exist between 3 year olds and adults.

I know my question is sort of specific, but it doesn't need to be specifically between 3-30 and newborn and 3. But newborn and 2+ as young as possible, and 2+ and any age beyond that.

So, your 5-20 is great, but the key part I'm looking for is newborn and 2+.

When they say "mature" they mean # of connections as expected for an adult?

You mentioned cells. Which to me indicates essentially brain matter, which I presume refers to connections being made, but could it be something else? or is that a bad assumption I made?
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
Thanks

Don't know where to find something that specific.

Try these sites Downwards Arrow
Source  http://php.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php?title=Neural_-_Cerebrum_Development
http://www.psyking.net/id187.htm
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1251 People Browsing
 122 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion