j
j
l
d
y
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
10 years ago
MRI scanners use strong magnetic fields and radiowaves to form images of the body.
I concern how strong magnetic field effects my logical thinking during MRI scan, and would like to know whether I still can perform calculation (Brain is still functioning, and not effect my thought at all) or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :>
Read 1634 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
10 years ago
I have had a couple of MRIs in the past.My brain functioned normally as far as I can remember.I am pretty sure I could have done calculations.
Find a job that you like and you will never work another day.
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
MRI works using radio waves not microwaves, but it can still heat the body slightly. Not enough to do any harm, but a few patients can find it uncomfortable. Also there is a slight possibility that the MRI magnet can cause temporary dizziness, but that last minutes.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
10 years ago
Long term there appears to be no side effects. I am a doctor of physics working in MRI research and I have been scanned over 200 times, with no problems. However this total pales into insignificance when you consider my boss, who was one of first (if not the first) in the world to carry out a clinical brain MRI exam. He has several thousand MRI exams over the years and has shown no ill effects. (When you are working in MRI research, you often need a volunteer to test a new way of scanning. That volunteer is usual a colleague, hence the high number of scans that people working in MRI research undergo.)
oemBiology Author
wrote...
10 years ago
What about short term side effects during scanning process?  The physical brain operates on electrical impulses, would strong magnetic field effects those electrical impulses? Can anyone still perform calculation during the scanning process without any problem?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions :>
wrote...
10 years ago
I have had a couple of MRIs in the past.My brain functioned normally as far as I can remember.I am pretty sure I could have done calculations.

The effects are probably minimal, as stated above. There has been tons and tons of studies done on magnets and cognitive function, and there never seems to be a correlation, even during development.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  819 People Browsing
Related Images